Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
Inactive Account

k20d help

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

hi all and thanks for taking the time to read

i'm completely new to the world of dslr cameras and i recently bought a k20d from a boot fair, but it was just a camera, usb cable and case no sowtware or charger. can anyone tell me what program will open raw and pef files as nothing i have already seems to. also where i can i buy a charger in or around london???

thanks again for taking the time to read this

04-16-2011, 04:14 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Software from Pentax can be found at the Pentax websites under the support area. You may also find software out there on the web that can handle the RAW format. I've had good success with RAWtherapee (News) which is sort of free, but you may donate to the cause.
04-16-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by suicide Quote
hi all and thanks for taking the time to read

i'm completely new to the world of dslr cameras and i recently bought a k20d from a boot fair, but it was just a camera, usb cable and case no sowtware or charger. can anyone tell me what program will open raw and pef files as nothing i have already seems to. also where i can i buy a charger in or around london???

thanks again for taking the time to read this
What computer operating system are you using? Do you have any photo editing software installed? If you're not into 'raw' yet, just starting out, why not shoot just jpeg or, even better RAW+; jpeg and RAW at the same time. Menu button, record mode, file format. Photoshop Elements is great on both Mac & Windows platforms and both work well with RAW files. Both will allow you to convert to jpeg. I'm Mac and Aperture is my 'go to' but I have both PSE and an old version of Photoshop (CS3) that I use for certain things that Aperture can't do. You might want to downlaod the manual before you go much further, too. Check the link - http://www.google.ca/m/url?ei=HYGpTaCMMIamNq_6qe8B&q=http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/scms_docs/K20D_Manual.pdf&ved=0CBEQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNHYaV7CV0s69W70XRhYp5E7rxOmNQ
04-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi suicide,

Google is your friend. Try "pentax k20 raw converter", "pentax k20 charger", and "pentax uk" for starters.

Scott

04-17-2011, 03:14 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For your charger needs, Any NP-400 type charger will do.

np-400 | eBay

04-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
Software from Pentax can be found at the Pentax websites under the support area. You may also find software out there on the web that can handle the RAW format. I've had good success with RAWtherapee (News) which is sort of free, but you may donate to the cause.
Thanks
I have looked on there (pentax website) but was completely baffled by which download to click in relation to the k20d
04-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

tell me what program will open raw and pef files
I'm not sure if you can on a K20 but I changed the K-x to shoot RAW in DNG format (rather than PEF)... Don't have any issues opening Raw files now...

04-26-2011, 10:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
A bit late, but to my knowledge the Pentax software on their website are 'updates' only. It is the full software but you already need to have an install, else it will not install.

I've once seen a warkaround, but not sure where.

PS
Welcome to the club and enjoy your new camera.

Last edited by sterretje; 04-26-2011 at 11:01 PM.
04-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
Thanks
I have looked on there (pentax website) but was completely baffled by which download to click in relation to the k20d
This might help

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/1067...20d-owner.html
04-27-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't think the Pentax software is very easy for a beginner to use. I'd recommend Faststone, a free image browser which will read and convert your RAW files and let you do some basic editing. Lots of people on the forum use it. It's reasonably simple to find your way around, has decent documentation, a very good full screen setup and is reasonably fast. Also, free is hard to beat.
I agree with jac, download the manual and read it from cover to cover then bring your questions back to the forum. You've bought a sophisticated semi-pro camera and there's a lot to learn, but you'll find plenty of friendly help here.
You might also check out your local library for some beginners guides to dslr photography.
Welcome to the forum and have fun with your new toy.
04-27-2011, 04:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can also use GIMP or Picasa free of charge.
They both accept PEF and DNG RAW formats as far as I know.

- Bert