Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2011, 04:08 AM   #1

Firmware update issue with ist D

Hello

I'm wanting to use a large capacity storage card, and therefore need to update the firmware in my camera, which is currently still at v1.00.

I've downloaded the v1.12 update, but am having problems installing it. I've Googled this, but am not having any of the problems that other people have encountered before.

Summary:
-I've tried two different 512MB cards that both work in the camera.
-I've reformatted the cards in the camera itself; the filesystem is FAT.
-I've copied the fwdc112b.bin file to the root directory of the SD, which contains no other files. (No, I haven't placed the file in a subdirectory)
-I've tried 3 different computers for the download, and also tried WinZip to extract the .bin file from isde112w.exe. No indications that it's corrupt, but Pentax haven't supplied MD5/SHA hashes to allow this to be checked.
-I've bought an a/c power supply and connected that up, but it's made no difference.

If I turn the camera on while pressing the MENU button, the firmware version is displayed for 5secs, but the SD card light does not come on, and the firmware update process never starts.

Please help - any suggestions welcome.

Thank you

04-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you Sure you haven't placed the BIN file in a DCIM directory?? If you formatted the card in the camera, or even put the card In the camera, the directory exists. You saying you see no other files with the BIN file suggests, your file is In that directory. That, other than the idea you have downloaded the wrong firmware, is about all I'm going to come up with. The wrong firmware, if properly transferred, would likely have given you a warning of some sort.

04-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First of all, and this may be just nomenclature but the *istD does not use SD cards but CF cards

It is the *istDS and later models that use SD so the issue may be that the firmware is not for the correct camera. This needs to be checked
04-17-2011, 04:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
First of all, and this may be just nomenclature but the *istD does not use SD cards but CF cards

It is the *istDS and later models that use SD so the issue may be that the firmware is not for the correct camera. This needs to be checked
Very well spotted. Turns out that I have an ist DL, not an ist D (missed the big red "L" under the D on the front of the camera - doh.)

All good and working with the correct firmware, thank you!!

06-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #5

Yes thanks, DOH I missed the "L" also problem fixed