Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #1

Is Kx Firmware update neccesary?

Howdy folks! I'm new to the forum and a new K-x owner. It came from B&H with 1.0 firmware and I'm happy with it so far, although I've still a lot to learn. The images seem fine and the battery meter seems to work with both Enloops and lithium batteries. I think SDHC cards are fine for me right now as I'm still learning. Will updating the firmware improve the performance considerably, or should I leave it alone?
A clumsy question perhaps... thanks for your time.

04-17-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are only two new features (cross-processing options and SDXC support), so unless you need those, the update won't do you much for you. I can't hurt, though- there's no real risk or anything.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-17-2011, 01:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know the OP said his battery meter was working fine but the update also fixes/makes the meter more accurate also. Your Kx might start to show faulty battery readings later on, this update will prevent that from happening. But to answer your question you will not notice a performance increase so the update is really up to you. It only takes a few minutes so my suggestion is to do it.
04-17-2011, 01:46 AM   #4

I have the latest firmware on K-x and battery meter is still working like crap.

04-17-2011, 01:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
maybe you have set it right ... or your are using crappy batteries :P
04-17-2011, 11:16 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks y'all. I'll try the update and let you know how it goes.
04-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
maybe you have set it right ... or your are using crappy batteries :P
I use 2 sets of eneloops...i keep both charged never did a count on how many photos / set charged, but i don't think is more than 4-500 at best. The battery meter goes to yellow (half) after max. 50 photos. Don't use a lot of flash or review pictures.

04-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #8
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ignore the meter and keep 4 back ups on hand. With Eneloops you should be getting around 500 shots per charge - that is assuming you're not using the flash and LV.
04-18-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Ignore the meter and keep 4 back ups on hand. With Eneloops you should be getting around 500 shots per charge
I get more like 800 out of my Eneloops... But agree, even with the firmware update (which does improve things) just run til they die and then chuck your spares in...
04-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is a bit annoying when shooting events since it gets to red fairly early. I went through a couple sets of backup batteries, not wanting to run out of battery during a critical moment, before reluctantly going back to the original, which ended up lasting in red much longer than expected.