Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K-X Focus Ring Friction

Hello,

I was using my Kx with the kit 18-55 lens yesterday and at the end of the day, the manual focus ring was very hard to turn, rendering the AF almost useless as it didn't have the power to turn the focus ring, and on MF, it requires two fingers and quite some force to turn it. The amount of torque required is consistent through the whole focus range.

I let my friend use it during the last hour at the beach, so it is possible he could have dropped it; however, I find that highly unlikely. There could have been sand that got in there as well. I am not quite sure what happened, I will try and ask my friend today but in the mean time, I am just happy it was the kit lens this happened to and not one of my nicer lenses.

Any ideas on how to fix the lens?

04-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If it is sand that is causing it then you can use a strong blower, but that would probably blow the sand into the lens itself. Beyond the very basic blower and visual inspection for faults you might have to either chalk it up in the lost column or send it into a repair shop. I would probably say F* it and buy an upgraded kit lens, the 17-50 Tamron maybe.
04-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps the lens wasnt clutched all the way to MF? Also, if it's a DAL, it doesnt have quick shift.
04-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PilotRose Quote
I let my friend use it during the last hour at the beach,
Any ideas on how to fix the lens?
Pick two:

[ ] Cameras
[ ] Beaches
[ ] Safety

But you already knew that.

Suggested rectification:

1. It will likely be less trouble to buy another one, the 18-55 is the best all round Pentax lens bargain in the universe both new and s/h and I doubt a good serviceman could do a clean~repair job on yours for less $.
(Hint; the DA (v1) model is a better buy s/h IMhO because it has quick shift and a hood, and seems to have a more robust feel than the more cheapened mfr later ones.)

2. It you have the spare time, and the aptitude, you could disassemble and clean it up yourself. It's not a difficult job, really.
Google Translate

.R.

04-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
First of all thank you everyone for the help.

I am soon to be upgrading to a used K7, and buying the Pentax SMC-FA 50 / 1.4 lens which looks lovely. I would then have the 18-55 WR lens which I would probably only use when I was giving the camera to someone else to use at the beach, and/or in a situation where the weather encouraged having a full weather proofed body/lens combo.

Other times I would use my 17-70 F2.8-4 Sigma, or the Pentax 50mm I plan to buy.

I think I will buy the proper tools and open up the lens and attempt to clean it. Since it is such an inexpensive lens and it wouldn't be worth it to get it professionally repaired with my intentions to buy the WR Kit lens commonly bundled with the K7, I will give it a shot.

So thanks again, when I get a chance to pop that lens open, I will post an update letting you guys know how it went.