Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2011, 02:03 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
External Flash ... Off???

Hi. I just got my Pentax K-r 2 days ago so im still learning the functions and all that... so i have a really basic question.. I used to own a LUmix camera and when i was using an external Flash i had the possibility to force the external flash not to trigger without turn it it off... now.. in my K-r .. if i press the flash button and the flash options pop up.. i cant see how to turn the flash off with out turning the flash off manually....

Is there a way to dont trigger the external flash from the camera??? or it is necessary all the time to switch the flash off if i dont want it to trigger??

Cheers and sorry about the confussion.. :P :P

04-18-2011, 05:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi,
I believe (and I could be wrong, others please feel free to correct me) that most if not all DSLRs are designed to send a signal to the external flash unless the lighting conditions don't require it and the camera is set on a very automatic mode to make it more like a Point & Shoot.
I generally assume that if the external flash is connected and I don't want to use it then I either turn the flash off or unplug the sync cable from the hotshoe if my flash is connected off-camera.
I know the my K20d won't automatically pop up the built in flash under ANY conditions but my Nikon D80 WILL pop-up the built in unit if I have it set to an automatic mode.

Michael
04-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Flash off on mode dial

Not sure if this will work for you.

There is a "Flash off" setting on the Mode Dial. It sets the camera to AutoPict Standard mode with the flash off. I've never used that setting.

I looked for that function in the menus also, but turning off the flash itself is easy. It's a dedicated button on the flash vs a menu. Same with the pop up flash. When it's down, it's off.