Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2011, 11:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Old -but save- Pentax Flashguns for K100D

I see many ancient Pentax flashguns on fleabay. I know they operate in different voltage levels, and sometimes hazardous to newer DSLR, not to mention that they surely did not have as many feature as the digitalized flashguns. But, they're cheap, easy to find, and that I need nothing but something to shed some light whenever I shot at night, so that I wouldn't dry my camera batteries using the internal flash.

Suggestions, please

04-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Look here for a partial list of trigger voltages. I'm sure there are other lists like this one. Maybe someone else will help.
Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
04-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it starts with what do you want to achieve.

there are many old flashes out there, but I will start my list of assumptions now.

- you want Auto mode. This excludes a lot because not all flashes have their own sensor. this is true of some of the best, like the AF500FTZ, which can only work in either manual or TTL. UNless you are shooting with an *istD, DS, or DS2, all newer cameras are P-TTL only. the *istD are both TTL and P-TTL compatible which makes them unique in several ways, but that is a different dicsussion.

- You might wish to consider a safe flash interface, I don't know the specifics but I believe there are several that limit the voltage to the camera. This would be preferrable.

- You also would need to consider shooting in manual mode, so adjustable in at least 5-6 steps would be preferrable,

- You want one that can be used with re-chargeables. Some older flashes were designed to work with carbon batteries, and lower internal impedance of some rechargeables could burn them out.

Look in the accessories forum there is a sticky on flashes and what is and is not compatible (at least for pentax units)

I think, from memory the AF 400 and AF280 flashes are pretty well recommended