Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus stacking

Reggie you can do focus stacking without a tripod. Focus stacking is the technique of varying the focus point and then "stacking" them via a software program to achieve a much larger in focus area. It's similar to HDR except instead of combining different exposure values you combine differnt focus points. There are a variety of programs, google "focus stacking software" to get an idea of what is out there.

NaCl(but it requires a bit of skill in manual focusing)H2O

04-19-2011, 12:34 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Theres much more to mull over here, thanks: The "miniaturization" effect always looked impressive to me, and your shot newart looks really good... the adaptor you speak of looks like a future purchase.

I do need to do more experimenting with f stops etc, unfortunately I had to cut it short today, but as the lizards appear to be as common as muck here, and a real novelty for me, by the end of the hols I should have 100's of shots to see what works best, play around with in post processing, etc. Plus I'll attempt to get a set of shots to experiment with focus stacking, if I can secure the camera to allow manual focusing.

Thanks for the advice...
05-20-2011, 02:57 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi

Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but I just wanted to say thanks again for all the advice. Using the information you've given me I'm now able to take shots like the ones below, and it's proving to be highly addictive

The first one is 5 shots stacked; both taken handheld using a K20D with a 2x Vivitor TC on a Tamron Adaptall 52BB 90mm lens (secondhand from the local camerashop).

My next step is to sort out the lighting, as I'm shooting at ISO1600 to keep the aperture at f8/f11 and still have decent shutter speed, but this is producing a lot of noise. Plus I want to remove/reduce the shadow area.

My thinking is a ring flash, possibly a Sigma, or a diffused 'normal' flash??

cheers
Attached Images

Last edited by reggieperrin; 05-20-2011 at 03:30 AM.
05-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reggieperrin Quote
Hi

My next step is to sort out the lighting, as I'm shooting at ISO1600 to keep the aperture at f8/f11 and still have decent shutter speed, but this is producing a lot of noise. Plus I want to remove/reduce the shadow area.

My thinking is a ring flash, possibly a Sigma, or a diffused 'normal' flash??

cheers
Mmm... Ringlights are very "clinical" looking. I've got a Lester Dine and rarely use it. I like the diffuser on "normal" flash. Recently crewl1 turned me on to this diffuser ( Amazon.com: Interfit Strobies Small On Camera Diffuser: Camera & Photo ) and I really like the results for macro with a standard macro lens and the built-in flash.

05-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too have a K20 and have shot as high as ISO 3200 with very good results. There was noise, however there are a number of utilities that can be used to denoise the images. In the latest lightroom there is one included that is suppose to be very good, I have read.

The K20 is somewhat known to suffer from noise at the higher ISO levels, however do not let that bother you in the slightest. The "film" is free, so experiment away. Find an affordable denoise utility and experiment with how it works.

Also, you might look into small table top tripods or gorillapods to help stabilize the camera in tight spaces. They are relatively inexpensive.