Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2011, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax K-X digital viewfinder?

Hi. I have just gotten a Pentax K-X. I love it for the most part. But I find it maddening to have to look through the tiny viewfinder to take shots. Sometimes I need to hold the camera away from myself--to the side, etc--where I cannot see into the viewfinder. Isn't there some way to frame a shot using the digital screen?? I have photographer friends with other brands of cameras that let them do this.

I have read through the manual and can't seem to find anything about this. Help!

-Omgirl

04-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sure, press the LV button on the front, it stands for Live View. You can also display histogram and rule of thirds lines through some of the settings in the menus. I find that I like the viewfinder after using it for a while, but YMMV.

Enjoy your new K-x, I got mine about a month and a half ago and I keep learning all sorts of new things with it.
04-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just be aware that the default focus mode in LiveView is Face Detection. Contrast AF is very slow, and Phase Difference AF will black out the screen when focusing. Pg 143-148 of the manual.
04-20-2011, 12:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Make sure you updated your firmware too... LiveView eats battery-life...

QuoteOriginally posted by omgirl Quote
Sometimes I need to hold the camera away from myself--to the side, etc--where I cannot see into the viewfinder.
By using joints such as elbows, wrists and shoulders the times you need hold the camera away from yourself can be greatly reduced...

If its a glasses (or big nose) thing then (I suffer horribly from both...) a OM53 Magnifying Eyecup may help... they're about £30(GBP)

04-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #5

We have all seen photos taken where the photographer sees something, points the camera at it and takes the picture of what he/she is seeing rather than what the camera is seeing. This is easily done both with optical viewfinders and with view screens on the camera.

The thing I find about the viewfinder on an SLR is that looking at the image in the viewfinder on a flat, ground glass screen, isolates you from your surroundings and forces you to look at what you are actually taking rather than what you think you are taking. Composition is frequently more considered and so frequently better.

For that reason I would always use the viewfinder, unless it was literally impossible.

Last edited by Farmer_Terry; 04-21-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Part about composition added.
04-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You could use a shoe mount finder too

Just make sure to use AF and make sure you set your lens focal length to correspond roughly with the finder - I've done it before it was OK
04-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
"LV"! That's what I needed to know. Thanks!

I don't know why the focus time is so dreadfullly long when using Live View. Thankfully I don't have to use it often. But I've been taking pictures of a decorating job I just did and there is no way to get a head-on shot while holding the camera up to my eye. I have to stand and hold the camera to the side because of the size and shape of the room, so w/o LV I kept having to take dozens of pictures, all of which were off center one way or the other. Now I can do it perfectly. Yay!

Thanks!!!