Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2011, 04:59 AM   #1
Inactive Account

A couple questions about lenses, reflectors and other aspects of photography!

Hello everyone, great to see Pentax has a forum!
I have long been a photography admirer and recently received something awesome last Christmas. A Pentax K-7 from my father and my aunt also bought me a second hand Nikon D3 at my birthday a little later, probably she didn't know my father had already bought me a camera or whatever. Anyway, the Pentax came with the kit lens which I have been shooting with ever since.

I must admit that I mostly use the K-7 for everything nature and outdoor related because it feels so tough and is so light and has those amazing weather seals. The Nikon D3 doesn't seem weather sealed at all to me even though Nikon claims it is... Anyway, I use the later for portraits and stuff like that.

I recently bought a Nikkor 50mm 1.4 (I was going to buy a 50mm for the Pentax but then I saw the price and decided to buy a lens for the Nikon it was so expensive unfortunately!) and it originally came with an 85mm 1.8

At some point I want to buy a better lens for my Pentax for all the outdoor stuff.

So yeah, I recently compiled a small portfolio and applied to a very good private photography school and surprise! I got accepted! I was so happy.

I want to do photography for a living and more specifically I want to become a fashion photographer because I think there is nothing more beautiful than to use images to tell a story or to use them to express beauty.

So far I have been using model mayhem to find models and it worked alright though I have had to deal with an angry father who said the model shouldn't be in the sun she will get a sunburn... Anyway, I have had problems with shadows shooting outdoors and so as it is my names day, my aunt bought me a small inexpensive Lastolite reflector size 30cm with a silver side and a white one she sent it per post from Austria it should arrive soon, is that too small? I am mainly bothered by shadows on my models face. I am not from a wealthy family so... Can I work with that?

Other than that I bought a Rocket Blower because my lenses are getting dusty and a Hoya UV filter to protect them, I hope this won't interfere with my images?

Anyway, I can't wait to go to my photography school. I was very lucky to get a student loan cause it costs a fortune (Like 3k a year during three years, can you believe that? Not sure about the exact price but I think that's what my father said.)

Anyway, Hi from a Pentax user!

04-20-2011, 05:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
yep you can work with that..but if it turns to be too small you can always take a rectangular, white or any other color you might want to cast, board and use it as a reflector...i've done it and you may achieve decent results.
Lots of studio and photo equipments (other than bodies and lenses of course ) can be done DIY...softboxes,difusers,reflectors, hot lights...
A good UV filter shouldn't degrade image quality...the cheap ones do.

Welcome and congrats on the admission to the photography school.
04-20-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Based upon what you have said about outdoor and portrait, I'd suggest the DFA 100mm Macro. This lens renders beautifully and produces excellent, smooth flesh tones.
If you want to shoot scenery, you can't beat the DA 15mm Limited.
I've been shooting professionally for decades and hate to discourage you, but there is no future in it. The school should be very beneficial to your photography, but I doubt you'll ever recover the costs in sales. These schools give a false idea of the market opportunities to wide-eyed enthusiasist, and I would be surprised if they reject anyone with the money. If you insist on entering a dwindling market, I think you would do better to find an established pro to mentor you.
04-20-2011, 05:27 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
yep you can work with that..but if it turns to be too small you can always take a rectangular, white or any other color you might want to cast, board and use it as a reflector...i've done it and you may achieve decent results.
Lots of studio and photo equipments (other than bodies and lenses of course ) can be done DIY...softboxes,difusers,reflectors, hot lights...
A good UV filter shouldn't degrade image quality...the cheap ones do.

Welcome and congrats on the admission to the photography school.
This is the filter I bought:

Hoya - HMC - UVH58 - Filtre UV - 58.0 mm: Amazon.fr: High-tech

Is this good?

04-20-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
Based upon what you have said about outdoor and portrait, I'd suggest the DFA 100mm Macro. This lens renders beautifully and produces excellent, smooth flesh tones.
I've been shooting professionally for decades and hate to discourage you, but there is no future in it. The school should be very beneficial to your photography, but I doubt you'll ever recover the costs in sales. These schools give a false idea of the market opportunities to wide-eyed enthusiasist, and I would be surprised if they reject anyone with the money. If you insist on entering a dwindling market, I think you would do better to find an established pro to mentor you.
There were like hundreds of applicants plus an entry exam. I was among 60 to be accepted. They did say it was a tough field to go into but I think a school is good because they teach a whole variety of styles.
04-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
According to Lenstip they are indeed good filters..
Here's a link that has lots of tests from filters of different manufacturers and that explain quite well what an UV filter is and it's function (although it's usually used for protecting the lens front element).
UV filters test - Introduction - Lenstip.com
04-20-2011, 11:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Kruger Quote
I agree that in general, Photography, specifically "straight" photography is a dead sport. What the recent wave of dSLR development (and pricing) has done to "Professional Photography" is the same thing that happened to real world Graphics companies when "Desktop Publishing" became a hit in the early 90's, it just died over night. Yet some of these companies manged to evolve with the changing times and not only survived but are thriving. IMHO, I think the (cropped sensor) dSLR will peak in a year or 2, then after that 100% FF, and then what? As far as I can tell, there are no more undiscovered or unphotographed places, so it all comes down to our personal interpretation of what we see and how we present it that will make us or break us.

QuoteOriginally posted by Noob Quote
Hello everyone, great to see Pentax has a forum!
I have long been a photography admirer and recently received something awesome last Christmas. A Pentax K-7 from my father and my aunt also bought me a second hand Nikon D3 at my birthday a little later, probably she didn't know my father had already bought me a camera or whatever...

Anyway, Hi from a Pentax user!
So far your Nikon out fit is pretty sweet... and you never mentioned which lens you have for your K7.

As far as reflectors on the cheap, just get yourself something called "Foam Core" board, it comes in many sizes but generally you should find 20x32" at your local art supply store for as little as 99 cents, bright white and highly reflective and does come in a variety of colors... or better yet, find an area where the lighting is more even...

Studio Photography and Digital Work is alive and well, learn your trade and develop a style

Congrats on school and good luck...
04-20-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you!

Now I may sound like a moron, but could someone give me a little theoretical reflector run down for such small reflector as my 30cm one?

04-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Noob Quote
Thank you!

Now I may sound like a moron, but could someone give me a little theoretical reflector run down for such small reflector as my 30cm one?
Small reflectors like that work great for highlighting whatever the subject of your composition may be. Whether it's the models face or their hands holding the smoking gun... it works nicely to draw the viewers eyes to the highlighted part of a overall darker image.
04-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
a good headstart is the 30cm gold/silver reflector. Personally I prefer the stuff from California Sunbounce. Especially the mini.
04-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kheldour Quote
a good headstart is the 30cm gold/silver reflector. Personally I prefer the stuff from California Sunbounce. Especially the mini.
The one I am getting has a silver and a white face.