Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2011, 06:27 AM   #1

Newbie Flash Questions

Hi all,
First post here on the site, was looking for a little bit of help from the community.
I recently bought a k-x and wanted to add a shoe mounted flash, so I picked up the YongNuo YN-462, just to play around with.

My question is, am I able to use this flash off the camera, through a cord? I have read and seen this with many other flashed and have even heard it refereed to as a sync cord.
I just wanted to know if these cords were universal or if I needed something else.
Thanks for the help and sorry if it doesn't make sense!

04-20-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevido Quote
Hi all,
First post here on the site, was looking for a little bit of help from the community.
I recently bought a k-x and wanted to add a shoe mounted flash, so I picked up the YongNuo YN-462, just to play around with.

My question is, am I able to use this flash off the camera, through a cord? I have read and seen this with many other flashed and have even heard it refereed to as a sync cord.
I just wanted to know if these cords were universal or if I needed something else.
Welcome. I'm pretty sure the k-x has wireless mode. However, I'm not anywhere even close to knowing even the small things about flash. I did want to point out there is a forum for flash questions. You might want to re-post this question there. I'm pretty sure someone will have the info you need.

Also, try a search here on Pentax Forums, using "K-X, YongNuo YN-462" and see what pops up.
04-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all,

Welcome aboard. Glee46 is correct there is a new flash forum you can ask this question in to learn more. The quick answer to your question is yes, you can use the flash with a cord, as long as it is a P-TTL cord. That way the same functions that are supported by mounting the flash on the camera will still be supported. A generic Pentax P-TTL type will work but most of what I've seen, you are only going to get about a foot or so from the camera with it. Pentax also makes/made various adapters and cords specific to their own products that will allow further plugged in distances.

04-20-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Stevido...

Yongnuo also sell wireless triggers... 'YN-04 I' I use these with my YN-560 & AF240z flash's with no problems... The YN-04's were the cheapest wireless triggers I could find on ebay and do the job briliantly for the price...

Hope it helps...

04-21-2011, 05:32 AM   #5

Original Poster
I appreciate the help from all three of you, sorry about the wrong forum. I some more research to do on my end.
Looks like I will just get that YN wireless trigger.
THanks Again
04-21-2011, 05:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Someone will no doubt recomend better triggers... I believe 'cactus' are a favored brand round these parts but you did say...
just to play around with
and the yongnuo triggers are cheap as chips...

I was using my YN560 during the early hours of this morning and I'm totally in love with it... For the price of them you simply can't beat yongnuo flashes at the moment... I think you've made a good investment