Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2011, 06:38 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep, thats the entire setup.

04-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Can clearly see the lighting setup, my postion and the glass panels on my front door.
That is cool! :-)
04-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #33
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TACK SHARP?
RAZOR SHARP?
or BRUTALLY SHARP?

Can clearly see the lighting setup, my postion and the glass panels on my front door.
I am very jealous of your equipment and that shot

great shot and beautiful portrait

cheers
04-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #34

Photos: Albums
TACK SHARP? RAZOR SHARP? or BRUTALLY SHARP?
I like that.... brutally sharp. Sometimes sharpness isn't what you want. For example, portraits with too much detail. Brings out too many flaws in my opinion.

04-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Thanks for the comments guys
Yeah you dont want portraits to be sharp to see the flaws, but you want the eyes very sharp so thats what you focus on, if anything else is too sharp for your liking it is easy to soften it up with a touch of pp
04-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by secateurs Quote
I like that.... brutally sharp. Sometimes sharpness isn't what you want. For example, portraits with too much detail. Brings out too many flaws in my opinion.
Brutally Sharp is my phrase -- scan back a few posts. My most Brutally Sharp lens is a Schneider Betavaron 50-125/4-5.6 enlarger zoom. Big, heavy, weird to use (I can't get the right focusing helicoid); and I do not DARE to shoot portraits with it! Not of women and children, anyway. Some guys are (or like to think of themselves as) 'warriors' and want to reveal every scar, line, pore, hair, pimple, mole, bead of sweat, fleck of dirt, smear of grease, body mod, etc. The kind of guys I shoot in B&W with tiny apertures, a Red filter, strong low-side light, etc. Yeah, Brutally Sharp is just right for them! The rest of us usually want ourselves airbrushed a little. No, you don't need to see my chicken-pox scars!
05-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
If it looks sharp at 100% then it's sharp. There is no point looking at an image greater than 100% except for doing extremely fine editing work.

(imho, of course)
Agreed.
05-20-2011, 02:11 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jjhenders Quote
Ricoh 1.7 50mm. Now I know I don't have any great lenses here
If that is the "P" Rikenon, then you do have a really good lens. That lens is contrasty, produces nice colors, really sharp (sharper than the 1.7 "M"'s) and produces great bokeh - do not under estimate this lens, it is a great lens to have in your bag... (and it is a lens that is capable of getting your "Tack Sharp" results with minimal effort)

---

05-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #39
Veteran Member

We need a macro that falls under that category

05-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #40
Inactive Account

Each image pixel from the camera is a uniform smudge of color. When displayed at 100%, each image pixel occupies one display pixel (which is also just a smudge of color.)

If you are looking at a normal computer display with pixels just discernible, then anything above 100% cannot be sharp by definition. For example, 200% means that one image pixel's uniform smudge is now smeared over two display pixels.... kind of like looking at the display with a 2x magnifying glass - all you see are bigger uniform colored pixels.

Actually, you can fake sharpness a bit by mathematically making pixels smaller and assuming that color and brightness changes are smooth in real life. Here's an example a clown's nose):

The image on the left is displayed at 400% & you can clearly see the individual pixels from the camera. The image on the right is a smoothed version which looks a little better from a distance - move your head back from the display & the image on the right will get to look pretty good. Pull your head a long way back and they both look good.

Last edited by newarts; 05-20-2011 at 07:20 PM.
05-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
The image on the left is displayed at 400% & you can clearly see the individual pixels from the camera. The image on the right is a smoothed version which looks a little better from a distance (move your head back from the display & the image on the right will get to look pretty good. Pull your head a long way back and they both look good.
Wow those are very useful images - thanks for posting them.
05-20-2011, 07:18 PM   #42
Pentaxian

'Tack sharp' is when editors stop complaining before reducing a photo to newsprint...
05-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #43
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
'Tack sharp' is when editors stop complaining before reducing a photo to newsprint...
As someone who used to make a living making halftones for newsprint, first in the darkroom and later on a computer, "tack sharp" is anything recognizable. Obviously that's an exaggeration, but not as much as you might think.