Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sears 28-70mm not working???

Need a little help, I purchased this lens on ebay. When I put it on my K-x it would ask for the focal and give choice, then it would let me take pictures only in manual focus. Now it does not give me a choice and will not take pictures is there something I am not doing?

Sears 28-70mm 1:3-4.5 Macro Lens Auto Zoom

Thanks for any help.

04-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

emetcalf,

I do not think you are providing enough information for anyone to give you anything but generic help. If you could post pictures of the lens front and side showing the wording it might help.

First is this an auto-focus lens or manual focus? Normally if the camera asks for the focal length it is because the lens is not communicating, either because of a fault or because it does not have the ability to do so. Older, manual focus lenses will ask. Newer lenses can sometimes ask if the contacts are dirty enough to interfere.

Second is this a k-mount or m42 screw mount?

Without additional info all I can offer is to clean the lens contacts and see what happens. Based on what you said it appears that the lens at first did not communicate which is why it asked for focal length. And since the camera assumed it was an all manual lens it allowed you to take pictures. Later it did communicate, and therefore did not ask for focal length. Depending on settings if you do not have a focus confirmation the camera may not permit the taking of a picture.

If you can post additional information I'm sure someone smarter than me can help you more.
04-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster

The lens is a k-mount. I have tried it on my k-x and *istD no working.
04-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Try this:

- Camera in Av mode.
- Camera in manual focus.
- Aperture ring of the lens set at "A(P)".

What EXACTLY happens when you push the shutter release button? What is displayed on the camera's setting screen?

04-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Inactive Account

If you turn off SR for some reason, the camera will not ask for a focal length. That's number one. MF and AF-C (or AF-A) the camera should take a photo under any conditions. If you've taken the lens off of the A setting, you must Also have the custom menu setting Allow Aperture Ring set to Permitted. While you are In the custom menu, turn on Catch In Focus and take a walk on the wild side.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/141207-super-mu...ml#post1474808

04-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The lens itself is not an autofocus lens which is you problem. The lens is auto aperture meaning it should work in all modes just with manual focusing. You suffered from eBay misreading. Since your camera is asking for focal length then it does not know the focal length.

That a kr lens. Which means ricoh. I've seen one first hand but did not purchase one as it wasnt a good deal. Have you tried taking the lens off? It may have the dreaded ricoh pin
04-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by epqwerty Quote
Have you tried taking the lens off? It may have the dreaded ricoh pin
The Ricoh "pin" on this lens is harmless because it has a rounded head. The OP is already confused. Bringing up a non-essential issue doesn't help.

04-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

True. I shouldn't add into the confusion but thought some warning some be mentioned. As an inexperienced buyer, he/she may eventually purchase another lens that is of the K/R mount and unknowingly mount it on the camera thinking no problems will arise only to find out it is a dark day when trying to take the lens off.

Still no update on the situation.
04-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well, the lens is still asking for focal on the K20D but works, Thanks for all the help I believe I made a bad purchase and will not be using the lens.
04-22-2011, 10:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emetcalf Quote
Well, the lens is still asking for focal on the K20D but works, Thanks for all the help I believe I made a bad purchase and will not be using the lens.
I don't know the lens, but I would nearly say "off course it asks for the focal length". It's an older manual focus lens by the looks of it and there (not surprisingly) don't seem to be contacts on the mount to communicate focal length with the camera.

It's probably only a bad purchase if you expected autofocus.

PS
The lens says KR which implies the 'Ricoh pin'. Be aware that some lenses with the Ricoh pin might get stuck on the camera. As you have tried it and I assume it came off again, it seems to be the harmless version of the Ricoh pin; there is also a 'dangerous version'. Just something to pay attention to the next time that you buy an old lens.