Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 02:02 AM   #1
Inactive Account

SMC A 50mm

Hi Peeps, Ive had my new to me K200d since Aug 2010 and think I've got to grips with it (actually I think I've fallen in love with it ). I've only really been using the 18-55mm kit lens which is good but I have a SMC A 1.7 50mm lens thats been sitting in my bag. I put it on the camera last night, and took a few snaps in the garden and I'm sooo happy, it was going dark so I had it at F1.7 and ISO 800, the images look great. (well to me they do)

So I've decided I'm going to keep it on the camera for the next couple of months to see what I can achieve. Does anyone have any good tips for using MF lenses?

04-21-2011, 02:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use this lense, not often, but the only advice i can give you, it's to buy a focusing screen (between 50$ to 100$), it's easier to do the focus.

You can learn how to use "hyperfocal" (i don't know if it's the right word in english...). It's usefull if you want to use your 50mm during day, and don't want to always do the focus precisly.

For exemple you preset the lense to f8.

If you read on the focusing ring + aperture ring, you can see that the focus will be done from 10m to infinite + from 10m to 4.5m (15ft).
So you have clear focus from 15ft to infinite. usefull if you want to cover some event ^^ or shoot fast in "no brainy mod"

you get it ?
04-21-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I won't say a different focus screen wouldn't be of use but I would suggest learning to use Catch In Focus before spending a bunch of money on one.

04-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Jeffjs a new focus screen is out of my reach at the moment, think I have catch in focus set up, when the image is focused the camera beeps and a little circle appears next to the f number, is that right?

04-21-2011, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

Catch In Focus..

Most of our cameras have in the Custom menu a specific item, Catch In Focus (the K10d did not and the 200d may not either but it still works). Turn it on if it's there, if not, continue anyway.

Put the camera in AF-S focus mode,
Aim your camera at your subject.
Press and hold your shutter button all the way down.
Slowly turn the focus ring.

Once the camera detects Focus, it will take the picture.

The Hexegon and beep are also ways of confirming focus.

Edit: Just checked the 200d manual.. Custom item #22. Page 111 in the manual.

More edit.. This is especially useful to me, when I want to do macros outside. I let the Wind blow whatever plant life I'm trying to photograph and using catch in focus, I'm able to get the shot. Get the shot where otherwise it would just be a blur.

The wind was blowing about 30MPH that day.

04-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Think I might be missing something I've set it to AF-S,selected CIF and changed to centre spot focus , if i press the shutter all the way down it takes pic straight away without waiting for me to focuus???
04-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
WOW! I changed to AF-S focas mode and centre focus, put it on AV setting and changed from MF to AF and it worked. WOW how cool. I'm off out to play
04-21-2011, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #8
Inactive Account

I guess I should have mention that you Have to be in AF-S for it to work.

Have fun.

04-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fourfivesix Quote
Does anyone have any good tips for using MF lenses?
Practice makes...

QuoteOriginally posted by fourfivesix Quote
I've decided I'm going to keep it on the camera for the next couple of months to see what I can achieve.
Good Idea that answered your own question...

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I would suggest learning to use Catch In Focus
Does this work on 'M' lenses as well as 'A'? I use my 50mm 1.7 lens often but have never used the 'catch in focus' feature on the K-x...
04-21-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Practice makes...

Good Idea that answered your own question...

Does this work on 'M' lenses as well as 'A'? I use my 50mm 1.7 lens often but have never used the 'catch in focus' feature on the K-x...
Catch In Focus ONLY works in AF-S. To use it you need a manual focus lens such as the M or A 50mm f1.7 or a lens on which you can turn Off the Auto focus (DA* lenses for example). Any K lens will also work. Actually, any non-AF K mount lens will work. Doesn't have to be Pentax. The A on the lens, gets you auto aperture. Has nothing to do with focusing.

Think of it this way. Your camera, In AF-S will not take a photo unless the lens is in focus on Something. AF-C and M focus modes will take a photo regardless of focus. With a Manual M or A type lens, YOU become the focus motor rather than the camera. Just Like an AF lens in AF-S, the camera must see focus in order to release the shutter.

My one caveat here is that I'm experienced with flagship cameras from K10d and later only. On the K10d btw, CIF does not work with the DA* lenses. There is also no menu item for it. Later cameras do have the custom menu option however.