Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 09:01 AM   #1

Graduation photography

My sister will be graduation in May. money is tight this year so I am kind of hoping to start looking inward and try to start using what talents I have to try to make ends meet.

That leads me immediately to photography, and with the graduation coming up I feel like this might be a good opportunity to start something with what is right now just a hobby.

I was thinking my specific niche at this graduation would be pre- and post-graduation as the college (as any do) have a professional taking photos of the actual walking down the asile.

I was thinking I could round up family members for group shots, photos of the campus, photos of the grad students with friends/family/professor - hand our a business card with my website on it, say they will be up within a day or two, and try to make something small on that.

I'm not thinking about charging a lot - just a couple dollars per photo - and even offer a general photo book of the campus with the personal photos mixed in on request.

I know my schools year book was terrible - took two years for them to send it to me, cost $200, and it looked like an elementary student put it together. An hour with apples photo book in aperture would provide quality 100 times than that.

what do you think about this? dumb idea? risky idea (in respect to the school not liking someone walking around taking pictures)? audacious?

04-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should ask permission to shoot pictures if you can. Especially if you are going to charge for it. The school may have an 'official' photographer though. And you maybe cutting into their business then.

If you are too shy or nervous to do that you will probably just be one of many people taking photographs.

With your sisters permission, you could introduce yourself as " I am so-so's sister, but I am a budding photographer and I will be putting up photos at this website' blah, blah and then hand them your card. As for the photo book , if you could also just design the book and upload it to Blurb, you can set a price and email the link and the people could order it if they like it.

Simply from being at the 'consumer' end of it, I can tell you this. Your hit rate of people buying photos won't be too high UNLESS you can find a way to print the pics on-site where people can actually see it immediately and could potentially impulse purchase. If they have to actually keep your business card safely, go home, fire up their computers, browse your website, then order...Well, its a lot of hassle.

But on the other hand, you are just starting out and you learn only from making mistakes. As long as its not too expensive, try everything...

Best of Luck