Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

partially blurred photo

Hi I did a photo session and am hoping someone can explain to me why something happened. I am shooting with a K20D and used a SMC Pentax DA 50-135mm F2.8 lens. Only part of the picture came out clear. The upper part. The bottom of the photo was blurred. I am trying to understand how that happened. I am attaching a photo.

Attached Images

04-21-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmm... from those pictures I'm not picking up on any unnatural blurriness. You probably focused on the face, but shot wide open at f/2.8 so the hands, etc. are just out of the focus plane since the camera is slightly elevated compared to the body.
04-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Hmm... from those pictures I'm not picking up on any unnatural blurriness. You probably focused on the face, but shot wide open at f/2.8 so the hands, etc. are just out of the focus plane since the camera is slightly elevated compared to the body.
Thank you for the info. You are correct about my shooting at 2.8 the lens is 2.8 fixed. Any recommendations on how to keep this from occurring in the future would be appreciated.
04-26-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shesweet59 Quote
Thank you for the info. You are correct about my shooting at 2.8 the lens is 2.8 fixed. Any recommendations on how to keep this from occurring in the future would be appreciated.
you need to stop the lens down a little to get the entire thing sharp. this is always a trade off between foreground focus and background out of focus. you could try at the same time, changing the focal length and shooting position, (longer if possible) as depth of field is narrower, but then you will possibly be back to the same problem

04-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I believe you should buy a book on photo. You will learn a lot
04-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I prefer the term constant when referring to the aperture on such a lens. Fixed sounds like its stuck on or unable to change. Either way to get more areas in focus you need to change your aperture to a higher number such as 4 or 5.6. This post should be under general photography rather then tech support thou.
04-28-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you - it is a term that I have always used since I was an assistant with a photographer in Colorado who mentored me and it is a term he always used.

04-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have many books - this is a lens that I have never taken photos with and also, I had never had this happen when using other lens which is why I posted it here.
04-28-2011, 05:42 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you Lowell for the information. This is why I posted it in the forum to get information on how to fixt this issue or what my options are. Thank you for the information. I will try it out. Many times people post here and don't give constructive feedback or share knowledge on how to fix problems. So thank you so much for sharing..
04-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
BTW, most people would consider it a *good* thing, not bad, that only the face is in focus. That is one of the points of buying an f/2.8 lens in the first place. But indeed, if you want more in focus, you need a smaller aperture (= larger f-number).
04-30-2011, 06:01 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
BTW, most people would consider it a *good* thing, not bad, that only the face is in focus.
I agree with this completely. The second picture is great and I didn't really see anything wrong with it.
04-30-2011, 09:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by shesweet59 Quote
Thank you - it is a term that I have always used since I was an assistant with a photographer in Colorado who mentored me and it is a term he always used.
Get more info/mentoring here than from any low payed job in the real world hehe..
Gotta love this place.