Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Feeling a bit overwhelmed

So Ive had the new camera for a few weeks now, and had a couple of chances to head out with it.
The trip to the lake was pretty much just a chance to play with different settings, with just a rough idea of what I was doing.
Following more reading I headed to the Zoo recently. However shooting with a telephoto lens at a medium distance isn't exactly rocket science. I was very happy with the outcome and at least I though I got some nice shots.
However I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to head to now?
I really love the idea of landscape photography. But I seem to keep reading conflicting ideas of how to go about this. And after a while it all just seems very overwhelming.
Some things I read tell me that kit 18-55mm I have is a great start and a perfectly useable lens. Others seem so suggest that non-zoom 24mm is what I want.
Also tomorrow I though about heading out and taking advantage of some of the Autumn leave in Canberra. So now I dont know if I have the right gear or what ever Also a few sites Ive read suggest that a Polarising Filter is a must for these kinda of colour tones.
I'm just feeling a bit lost is all

04-22-2011, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

You are over-thinking and suffering from self paralysis.

Get out there and do the best with what you got. In a short while you will be answering your own questions.
04-22-2011, 02:56 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wildman's right.
It's supposed to be an enjoyable experience, not a job you put pressure on yourself to get right or else. You only have to be pleased with your results for it to be self-fulfilling, and if not, you seek tangible ways in which to improve.

Go out there with your kit lens and shoot your landscapes. A polarising filter would be handy, but not an absolute must. Get to know some of the practical principles of landscape photography (particularly being aware of the time of day and how that affects the lighting of your scenes), and just shoot.
04-22-2011, 03:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The 18-55 lense kit, is good. I've done some of my best photo with it. I have better lense, but i'm still using it every time i shoot.

Just enjoy the gear you have for now. When you'll be able to use it at it's full potential, think about some other / better gear.

04-22-2011, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most of us will hardly use our current kit to its full potential.
If you want to know what your current lenses can do, have a look at the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/45425-kit-lens-club.html and see what you can be capable of as well.
04-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Shoot, shoot, shoot. For landscapes, set the aperture to f/8 and shoot. For action, set the shutter to 1/400 and shoot. For general snaps, set the mode to Green and shoot. And keep reading all our rants here. We spew good info. Have fun!
04-22-2011, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #7
Inactive Account

I'm only still starting out too, and already I'm overwhelmed too! Doesn't help that I hardly ever get any time to go out and shoot :'( but I've found that the best way to learn is by doing! Oh, and listen to these guys. They know their stuff!

04-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #8

Don't worry about the filter. Just go out and shoot whatever you want. For landscapes, set your kit lens to 18 or 21mm and f5.6, 8, or 11. Relax and enjoy yourself, your camera and lens will take perfectly good pictures if you are confident and practice.

There was a link posted a bit further up with pictures taken with the kit lens. Have a look and you might get some inspiration and see what is possible with it.
04-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree, get out and shoot, have some fun. But also grab a copy of "Understanding Exposure," by Bryan Peterson from your library or bookstore. Try to get the 3rd Edition. It's a short read and contains just about everything you need to know to get started.
04-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
So Ive had the new camera for a few weeks now, and had a couple of chances to head out with it.
The trip to the lake was pretty much just a chance to play with different settings, with just a rough idea of what I was doing.
Following more reading I headed to the Zoo recently. However shooting with a telephoto lens at a medium distance isn't exactly rocket science. I was very happy with the outcome and at least I though I got some nice shots.
However I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to head to now?
I really love the idea of landscape photography. But I seem to keep reading conflicting ideas of how to go about this. And after a while it all just seems very overwhelming.
Some things I read tell me that kit 18-55mm I have is a great start and a perfectly useable lens. Others seem so suggest that non-zoom 24mm is what I want.
Also tomorrow I though about heading out and taking advantage of some of the Autumn leave in Canberra. So now I dont know if I have the right gear or what ever Also a few sites Ive read suggest that a Polarising Filter is a must for these kinda of colour tones.
I'm just feeling a bit lost is all
like others say, just keep it simple for now. there is nothing wrong with starting with a kit lens, my wife has been using hers for a few years and the results are great. I have the k10 and have never stop learning, just lately I have been almost as good as my wife

BTW, nice bike!

cheers fellow motorcyclist
04-22-2011, 06:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys.
I've read through your posts and gone through the 'kit lens club'.
Feeling a bit better about the whole thing now
Also had a good chat with Adr1an and now have a better understanding about the why's and wherefore's about lens and think I know better where I want to head.
Also will have a chance to borrow his CPL filter for tomorrow

@slip - cheers mate. That 109 is one of a few in the garage. Btw - love the Guzz
04-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is absolutely nothing that you can do that is wrong. Just take the picture - the "film" is free - along with the processing. You might do something that turns out not as expected - but then you will know for next time.

What ever equipment is more than good enough for whatever task. You can shoot landscapes with telephoto lenses - it does not matter. You can try things like stitching - taking multiple images adjacent to each other (with about 20% overlap) and stitch them together on your PC using Microsoft ICE. You can make the image as wide or as tall as you want....

So - just shoot images and be happy!!!
04-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rainy Day Quote
I'm only still starting out too, and already I'm overwhelmed too! Doesn't help that I hardly ever get any time to go out and shoot :'( but I've found that the best way to learn is by doing! Oh, and listen to these guys. They know their stuff!
I too have little time to shoot - so I try when I do have time, usually in the evenings. I have become fairly adept at night photography - using available ambient light - usually landscapes.

04-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm a newb as well. I found that reading about photography is great and gives you a nice background and starting point.

However, for me, many of the things I read simply didn't really "click" until I just got out and started taking pictures and really experiencing what I'd read. I'd find myself saying, "Oh that didn't work. Hey, that's what they meant when they said such and such." You know?

So, as everyone else has said, go out and have fun and learn as you go! Hands on is really the best learning, and you will have the most enjoyment that way.
04-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Thanks guys.
I've read through your posts and gone through the 'kit lens club'.
Feeling a bit better about the whole thing now
Also had a good chat with Adr1an and now have a better understanding about the why's and wherefore's about lens and think I know better where I want to head.
Also will have a chance to borrow his CPL filter for tomorrow

@slip - cheers mate. That 109 is one of a few in the garage. Btw - love the Guzz
how many do you own?
BTW it took a very long time to adjust to the fact that I could shoot as many shots as I wanted after conserving shots with film because of the price.

have a good ride,

cheers