Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Lurch's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 577
Feeling a bit overwhelmed

So Ive had the new camera for a few weeks now, and had a couple of chances to head out with it.
The trip to the lake was pretty much just a chance to play with different settings, with just a rough idea of what I was doing.
Following more reading I headed to the Zoo recently. However shooting with a telephoto lens at a medium distance isn't exactly rocket science. I was very happy with the outcome and at least I though I got some nice shots.
However I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to head to now?
I really love the idea of landscape photography. But I seem to keep reading conflicting ideas of how to go about this. And after a while it all just seems very overwhelming.
Some things I read tell me that kit 18-55mm I have is a great start and a perfectly useable lens. Others seem so suggest that non-zoom 24mm is what I want.
Also tomorrow I though about heading out and taking advantage of some of the Autumn leave in Canberra. So now I dont know if I have the right gear or what ever Also a few sites Ive read suggest that a Polarising Filter is a must for these kinda of colour tones.
I'm just feeling a bit lost is all

04-22-2011, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian
wildman's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Flyover America
Posts: 4,314
You are over-thinking and suffering from self paralysis.

Get out there and do the best with what you got. In a short while you will be answering your own questions.
04-22-2011, 02:56 AM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
Wildman's right.
It's supposed to be an enjoyable experience, not a job you put pressure on yourself to get right or else. You only have to be pleased with your results for it to be self-fulfilling, and if not, you seek tangible ways in which to improve.

Go out there with your kit lens and shoot your landscapes. A polarising filter would be handy, but not an absolute must. Get to know some of the practical principles of landscape photography (particularly being aware of the time of day and how that affects the lighting of your scenes), and just shoot.
04-22-2011, 03:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,907
The 18-55 lense kit, is good. I've done some of my best photo with it. I have better lense, but i'm still using it every time i shoot.


Just enjoy the gear you have for now. When you'll be able to use it at it's full potential, think about some other / better gear.

04-22-2011, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,679
Most of us will hardly use our current kit to its full potential.
If you want to know what your current lenses can do, have a look at the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/45425-kit-lens-club.html and see what you can be capable of as well.
04-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
Shoot, shoot, shoot. For landscapes, set the aperture to f/8 and shoot. For action, set the shutter to 1/400 and shoot. For general snaps, set the mode to Green and shoot. And keep reading all our rants here. We spew good info. Have fun!
04-22-2011, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #7
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Southern Highlands
Photos: Albums
Posts: 134
I'm only still starting out too, and already I'm overwhelmed too! Doesn't help that I hardly ever get any time to go out and shoot :'( but I've found that the best way to learn is by doing! Oh, and listen to these guys. They know their stuff!
04-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #8
Senior Member
HEEGZ's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Missouri
Photos: Albums
Posts: 258
Don't worry about the filter. Just go out and shoot whatever you want. For landscapes, set your kit lens to 18 or 21mm and f5.6, 8, or 11. Relax and enjoy yourself, your camera and lens will take perfectly good pictures if you are confident and practice.

There was a link posted a bit further up with pictures taken with the kit lens. Have a look and you might get some inspiration and see what is possible with it.

04-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Nebraska
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 327
I agree, get out and shoot, have some fun. But also grab a copy of "Understanding Exposure," by Bryan Peterson from your library or bookstore. Try to get the 3rd Edition. It's a short read and contains just about everything you need to know to get started.
04-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #10
Site Supporter
slip's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 2 hours north of toronto ontario canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,515
QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
So Ive had the new camera for a few weeks now, and had a couple of chances to head out with it.
The trip to the lake was pretty much just a chance to play with different settings, with just a rough idea of what I was doing.
Following more reading I headed to the Zoo recently. However shooting with a telephoto lens at a medium distance isn't exactly rocket science. I was very happy with the outcome and at least I though I got some nice shots.
However I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to head to now?
I really love the idea of landscape photography. But I seem to keep reading conflicting ideas of how to go about this. And after a while it all just seems very overwhelming.
Some things I read tell me that kit 18-55mm I have is a great start and a perfectly useable lens. Others seem so suggest that non-zoom 24mm is what I want.
Also tomorrow I though about heading out and taking advantage of some of the Autumn leave in Canberra. So now I dont know if I have the right gear or what ever Also a few sites Ive read suggest that a Polarising Filter is a must for these kinda of colour tones.
I'm just feeling a bit lost is all
like others say, just keep it simple for now. there is nothing wrong with starting with a kit lens, my wife has been using hers for a few years and the results are great. I have the k10 and have never stop learning, just lately I have been almost as good as my wife

BTW, nice bike!

cheers fellow motorcyclist
04-22-2011, 06:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Lurch's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 577
Original Poster
Thanks guys.
I've read through your posts and gone through the 'kit lens club'.
Feeling a bit better about the whole thing now
Also had a good chat with Adr1an and now have a better understanding about the why's and wherefore's about lens and think I know better where I want to head.
Also will have a chance to borrow his CPL filter for tomorrow

@slip - cheers mate. That 109 is one of a few in the garage. Btw - love the Guzz
04-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,002
There is absolutely nothing that you can do that is wrong. Just take the picture - the "film" is free - along with the processing. You might do something that turns out not as expected - but then you will know for next time.

What ever equipment is more than good enough for whatever task. You can shoot landscapes with telephoto lenses - it does not matter. You can try things like stitching - taking multiple images adjacent to each other (with about 20% overlap) and stitch them together on your PC using Microsoft ICE. You can make the image as wide or as tall as you want....

So - just shoot images and be happy!!!
04-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,002
QuoteOriginally posted by Rainy Day Quote
I'm only still starting out too, and already I'm overwhelmed too! Doesn't help that I hardly ever get any time to go out and shoot :'( but I've found that the best way to learn is by doing! Oh, and listen to these guys. They know their stuff!
I too have little time to shoot - so I try when I do have time, usually in the evenings. I have become fairly adept at night photography - using available ambient light - usually landscapes.

04-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
Site Supporter
loco's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,836
I'm a newb as well. I found that reading about photography is great and gives you a nice background and starting point.

However, for me, many of the things I read simply didn't really "click" until I just got out and started taking pictures and really experiencing what I'd read. I'd find myself saying, "Oh that didn't work. Hey, that's what they meant when they said such and such." You know?

So, as everyone else has said, go out and have fun and learn as you go! Hands on is really the best learning, and you will have the most enjoyment that way.
04-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #15
Site Supporter
slip's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 2 hours north of toronto ontario canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,515
QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
Thanks guys.
I've read through your posts and gone through the 'kit lens club'.
Feeling a bit better about the whole thing now
Also had a good chat with Adr1an and now have a better understanding about the why's and wherefore's about lens and think I know better where I want to head.
Also will have a chance to borrow his CPL filter for tomorrow

@slip - cheers mate. That 109 is one of a few in the garage. Btw - love the Guzz
how many do you own?
BTW it took a very long time to adjust to the fact that I could shoot as many shots as I wanted after conserving shots with film because of the price.

have a good ride,

cheers
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bit, camera, head, idea, lens, pentax help, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overwhelmed about lens choices cjbroadwell Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 32 01-03-2011 07:39 AM
slightly overwhelmed new member grayboy Welcomes and Introductions 5 07-31-2010 10:26 AM
New Pentax k-x so overwhelmed!!! matsui255 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 22 06-19-2010 09:32 AM
Feeling different - feeling proud - two birds gawan Post Your Photos! 12 05-27-2009 06:42 AM
For those feeling a bit chilly. Mallee Boy Post Your Photos! 4 02-18-2007 10:22 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:43 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top