Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
Inactive Account

What do you reckon?

Hi All

I'm a first time poster and have owned my KX since December. It has standard 18-55mm lens + 50-200mm lens, all in all this is my first step into dslr's and I absolutely love the KX! What a great camera!

I have had a look for this but I've probably missed it so my apologies for repeating the question.

I'm looking for a decent macro lens whatever make, and my budget is aroud the 100 mark. So can I get a lens for this money?

04-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
My advice is this:

First, look around on ebay for "pentax macro"

pentax macro | eBay UK

Next, look up lenses you find there in the database here:

Third-Party Lenses for Pentax - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
04-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #3

Just did a quick search, and there is this one:

SMC PENTAX K 50mm f4 Macro Lens For KX LX K200D MX etc | eBay UK

which is reviewed in the database here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-50mm-F4-Macro-Lens.html

all at the price range you are looking at. It looks like this is an average price for this lens and also it is in your price range. Good luck!
04-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I believe some soligor, cosina or other off-brand older macro lens should be possible to get close to your price range as well, perhaps easier to operate than the M lens, with A setting. But M40/4 is great suggestion for an affordable macro.

04-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Also, there are numerous threads here (BEGINNERS forum), and next door on the SLR LENS forum, that ask exactly the same question: What's a good and/or cheap macro lens? Read through those for many good options and suggestions.
04-22-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome robo, as mentioned, lots of options, but you're mainly looking at manual focus (which is OK since the majority of close focus work is better done manually anyway).

Enjoy the forum.
04-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If you're just learning about it and wantb to satisfy your curiousity you could try Raynox DCR-250 2.5x Super Macro Lens DCR-250 B&H Photo Video It's well under your budget at ~$75 US from B&H. It seems to get recommended on this forum a lot.

Check this out for samples:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/74221-raynox-macro-club.html

Last edited by calicojack; 04-22-2011 at 05:11 PM.
04-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
If you're just learning about it and wantb to satisfy your curiousity you could try Raynox DCR-250 2.5x Super Macro Lens DCR-250 B&H Photo Video It's well under your budget at ~$75 US from B&H. It seems to get recommended on this forum a lot.

Check this out for samples:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/74221-raynox-macro-club.html
+1 for this.
Macro photography can be an exacting and demanding subset of general photography. There are literally thousands of photogs out there who spent much money on a dedicated macro lens to find out later that macro photography wasn't for them. With the Raynox clipon you can get high quality macros without spending the extra money on a dedicated lens. Of course it doesn't do all that a dedicated macro lens can, but it does do macros exceedingly well. In addition there are no lens changes involved, just clip or unclip the Raynox to the front of the lens you are currently using to get true macro or close to true macro results.

NaCl(I've got 3 dedicated macro lenses and still enjoy my raynox)H2O

04-23-2011, 03:32 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Great advice, thanks guys I think I'll give the Raynox a go
04-23-2011, 05:14 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by robo82 Quote
Great advice, thanks guys I think I'll give the Raynox a go
The Raynox DCR150 is most appropriate for your 50-200 zoom lens. It will be more convenient to use the 150 on your 50-200mm than using the Raynox 250 on your kit lens because you'll have almost twice the working distance with the 150 (about 4" vs 8" - the distance between the front of the lens and subject.)

Working distance is important because not only do you not want to scare bugs you also need to get light on the subject and that's hard if the lens interferes.

The DCR150 on your 50-200 lens will give magnifications of at least 1:1.
04-23-2011, 06:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

You should be able to get one of these and still be in your budget. This lens came in different brand names.
Phoenix 100mm f/3.5 Macro AF for PENTAX - eBay (item 250804773618 end time Apr-23-11 19:53:35 PDT)