Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #1

Let the learning curve commence!!

My new K7 arrived late Thursday and had to wait for battery to charge overnight. Played with it a little on Friday. Buttons and looking into menus mostly with the manual and Magic Lantern Guide out. Put the DA35 on to try out AF as this is relatively new to me. Not really sure about it. Think I may prefer MF. Hope to take the camera out for a real spin today at the zoo or in the backyard. Maybe get some keepers from Easter Sunday. Will have one K1000 setup as backup though as I don't want to miss recording my niece's first Easter.

The question I have is what mode to start with. I am thinking P with minor custom menu adjustments to get started (auto EV comp on, custom image mode and auto WB for example) or TAv. Another option is to try a few shots in each Mode with no menu changes. Choose which I like for various situations and then change settings as needed to get the image I want. A big step up from the K1000. Also, as I remember from learning with the K1000 over all these years, shoot, shoot and shoot some more. Any suggestions, prior experiences, or personal tales welcome from your learning curve experience. THANKS!!

04-23-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not familiar with the K1000; but I doubt you will have problems understanding exposure; so any mode should do for you.

I would keep the setup very similar to what you're used to on the K1000
  • Center focus so you know where the camera focuses (where the split prism used to be on the K1000).
  • Fixed iso; again similar to your K1000
  • Av or Tv depending on the need; Av if you want to influence DOF, Tv if there is fast action involved. It's all similar to the K1000 although the K7 will calculate the missing parameter instead of you having to turn select the shutterspeed. Or go for M if you really want the K1000 experience and it makes you feel more comfortable
  • Auto white balance
And what the hell does Auto EV do? Had to look in the manual but it does not clearly describe it; how can you automatically compensate if correct exposure can not be determined?

Congratulations with the K7; which DA35 are you talking about? The Limited or the (DA(L)35/2.4?
04-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Try it all - It free

I would start where ever you want. That's why they put the "Trash" icon on it.

I was brand new 5 months ago and knew nothing about slr or dslr. I got books, joined here, watched videos, took a million pictures, made a millions mistakes, and now I'm shooting for a famous fashion magazine. Well, everything is true but the last part.
04-23-2011, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Good Morning and Congratulations on your new camera. The DA 35 should be a nice lens on the K7. I do have some suggestions:
  • As sterretje indicated, I would keep the ISO constant for at least a while to get the feel of things.
  • The viewfinder is not a split prism and Manual Focusing will be a bit more difficult.
  • The P mode is good, but really you can start out anywhere.
  • Change one thing at a time.
  • The film is free - along with the processing, so don't worry if you take 500+ images
  • Take a few and then load them on your PC to see how they turned out, then go out again and make what ever corrections you determine.
  • Don't be afraid to experiment.
  • When you get somewhat comfortable, run the ISO from the bottom to the top and see what you like, and then set it accordingly (I always go back to 100 - but have gone to 3200 to get some shots at a graduation).
  • When in doubt - try it out.... You have nothing to loose.

04-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Brooke Meyer

Shoot the same as K1000

The exposure triangle hasn't changed. My K20 and K5 stay in Manual. I use Sunny16 as an anchor point, EV reading from my DigiSix Meter. I do use the auto focus with a single focus point but focus and re-compose a lot. It is very nice to be able to change ISO and the feedback from the histogram is a good sanity check on exposure. Shake Reduction is great.

Learning Photoshop and Camera Raw is the big change. I've never shot anything but DNGs so have had no compatibility issues with Camera Raw thru K10, K20 and K5.
04-23-2011, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

A tip about experimenting: make it a habit to either return the camera to more normal settings, or check it when you pick it up again. And get familiar with the information displayed in the viewfinder, rear screen and top LCD, so you recognize when the camera is telling you something. It's very easy to set the camera up for photos at night under a single tungsten lamp, then the next day, be outside taking flower macros in sunlight, wondering why the camera suggests 1/4000 sec. shutter speed. Oh, it's on ISO3200!
04-23-2011, 01:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

A follow-up post: the USER mode can be handy for returning to a baseline setup. I read about it but initially decided it would get in the way of learning other modes. Then I forgot about it.

The mode I always avoid on the K-7 is Green mode. The problem there is the huge list of stuff that you can't change. We get the occasional question here when someone can't change a simple setting, and it sounds like the camera is broken, until someone suggests switching out of Green mode. Green mode might be perfect for handing the camera off to a novice to take a shot of you - they can't screw it up too badly - but it takes over too many functions for me.
04-23-2011, 11:52 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
I have shot my K-7 from the M mode almost from the very beginning. This past month I have started using TAv mode and I like it pretty well actually. I set the aperture I want and shutter speed, and the camera adjusts ISO for exposure. If I don't like the exposure I can +/- EV stops to correct. I've never used P mode on my K-7 and the green mode locks out a LOT of controls so I don't use it either. Av mode is also a popular choice. If you know how apertures and shutter speeds work you might start off in TAv mode. It works well and is semi-auto for getting your feet wet.

04-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm also with starting where you want to.
Green mode, P mode, Av mode - whatever makes you feel comfortable. But push the boundaries when you're ready and you'll soon find it's all not as daunting as it seems.

The manual's good to quickly go over. AF lenses are such an asset and the DA 35 is a great little gem.
Also have a look at some of the articles on this forum - they really are a good start to learning about your camera and what it can do.
04-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #10

Original Poster
Didn't get to zoo for first day out. Nephews soccer game instead with the DA 18-55WR. Lens did not have as much reach as I would have liked. The boys were not fast (6-7 year olds) and the K7 and I kept up pretty well. Having not shot a sporting event before, I saw a great advantage in having AF capabilities. However, did get a few keepers and even some that I would proudly hand over copies to other parents. I ended up in shutter priority on a overcast day. Some minor first hand attempts at PP. Overall pretty pleased as only one in about fifty is not fixable (very over exposed). The one was set in TAv and the exposure was WAY OFF. Hope to play again today at various family Easter events. Will post a few results once I look up the procedure and learn yet another skill.
04-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BugsAunt Quote
Didn't get to zoo for first day out. Nephews soccer game instead with the DA 18-55WR. Lens did not have as much reach as I would have liked. The boys were not fast (6-7 year olds) and the K7 and I kept up pretty well. Having not shot a sporting event before, I saw a great advantage in having AF capabilities. However, did get a few keepers and even some that I would proudly hand over copies to other parents. I ended up in shutter priority on a overcast day. Some minor first hand attempts at PP. Overall pretty pleased as only one in about fifty is not fixable (very over exposed). The one was set in TAv and the exposure was WAY OFF. Hope to play again today at various family Easter events. Will post a few results once I look up the procedure and learn yet another skill.
I would be extremely happy with a 98% keeper rate on my first time out. If you start looking for longer lenses, the 50-200mm WR is very nice. There is also the new 18-135mm WR and you could sell your kit lens and have the convenience of one.