Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Newbie Beginners Lens Question

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am totally new to digital SLR photography. I have an old Canon TX film camera with several FD lenses.

I just ordered a Pentax k7 and I am wondering if I will be able to use any of my old lenses with it, or do I have to start with newer lenses.

Appreciate any feedback from the group.

04-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

I believe that none of the Canon lenses will fit on your K-7 (without a special adapter). Get a Pentax lens (eg the kit lens) for a start.

Last edited by hcc; 04-24-2011 at 03:38 PM.
04-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can use those lenses if you have an FD to K-mount converter. I have no personal experience with those, but they may be hard to find (and a Canon lens on a Pentax camera just doesn't look right! ). You may have to find an FD to M42 and an M42 to K-mount if none are available.

Welcome here, and hope you find the forum useful. Perhaps we can stir up some interest in you in the excellent Pentax lenses there are available...
04-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks. That is what I thought.

04-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
I will without a doubt being purchasing Pentax products for the camera in future. I'm extremely excited about learning digital photography using the K7!
04-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A FD lens can be mounted with an optically corrected adapter. The adapter works like a short telephoto adapter and adds about 1.4x to the focal length. Without the optics the maximum focusing distance is just a few inches.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/96884-ada...addiction.html

Because of the short flange focal distance of the FD mount, the only digital cameras that don't need an optically corrected adapter are 4/3-m4/3, Sony NEX, and Samsung NX.

Last edited by boriscleto; 04-23-2011 at 04:08 PM.
04-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Flog the canon lenses on ebay and put the money towards pentax toys...

04-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I have a bunch of FD lenses but need to sell them. You are much better off getting lenses meant for your Pentax, but you don't need to buy Pentax brand lenses, just those with an appropriate mount.

Paul
04-24-2011, 03:11 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Flog the canon lenses on ebay and put the money towards pentax toys...
QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
You are much better off getting lenses meant for your Pentax, but you don't need to buy Pentax brand lenses, just those with an appropriate mount.
Quite right.

How to use Canon FD lenses on Pentax cameras:

* Use an optical adapter, which ruins whatever made the FD lenses special.
* Attempt radical surgery. I've adapted other lenses, but Canon thwarts me.
* Reverse them for close-up and macro work. Oh no, not ANOTHER macro lens!
* You could probably mount them on a Pentax A110 -- same frame size as m4/3.
* Use them as photoshoot subjects, BEFORE and AFTER being smashed apart.
04-24-2011, 06:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by willwalker Quote
I am totally new to digital SLR photography. I have an old Canon TX film camera with several FD lenses.

I just ordered a Pentax k7 and I am wondering if I will be able to use any of my old lenses with it, or do I have to start with newer lenses.

Appreciate any feedback from the group.
CANON FD Lens to Pentax PK Mount Adapter Infinity focus on eBay.ca (item 270572995312 end time 27-Apr-11 11:36:07 EDT)

For 30 bucks you can use your lenses.

I have used a lensed adapter for Pentax to Nikon and vice-versa. Yes there will obviously be degradation because of the extra glass, but it works quite well.

In actual fact now, I never use them because even though its only I that knows that the shots have been degraded - thats enough for me.
04-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks stevewig. Probably will try adaptor until I acquire new lenses.