Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Monopod and tripod with same ball-head?

my experience with mono- and tripods has been of the big box store variety. I am looking to spend a little more money and would prefer something I could leave on the camera body and switch it from tri- to mono. Is there such a combination?

thank you for your assistance.

04-24-2011, 09:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I standardize on Arca-Swiss compatible quick release plates/clamps.

I have a plate attached (almost) permanently to the camera, and to each of the lenses that have tripod mount. Each of my tripods and monopods has an Arca-Swiss clamp.

04-25-2011, 06:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I have a monpod but since investing in a decent tripod its not really seen much use tbh...

You could get tripod legs, a headless monopod and 2 of the same quick release ballheads I guess...
04-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yep, or just clamps and plates, by the way. One reason I like Arca is that you can get all kinds of things in all kinds of price ranges to fit them: and what's more, while they may be a bit slower to fit up than some other types (Look at Manfrotto for that, one or two of their QR's are probably the next most common) ...the Arca type is much simpler and thus has less potential for fail if you cheap out.

There remain options for less-fiddly clamps, but expect to pay for those. (Arca is not naturally the picture of arthritis-friendly, any more than 'Quick' is necessarily the actual watchword, but you can buy some clever workarounds for that. )

Also it's more amenable to custom fits and neat little features like slots for a strap or whatever.

You can simply add an Arca clamp to about any tripod/monopod as well, or swap one on in many cases, and that's pretty useful. (I'm pretty sure Manfrotto does this, too. And of course they make some nice heads. Particularly one for monopods a lot of people like. (I don't actually *use* a head on monopods, but that's me. )

04-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I know Promaster doesn't have a great reputation here, but I recently purchased one of these and have been very happy with it. It converts from a tripod to monopod, is light and very versatile. I also got it with 25% off.

Promaster
04-25-2011, 03:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My Giottos Vitruvian lets you pull off one of the legs and turn it into a monopod. It also uses the Arca Swiss ball head.
04-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just carry your tripod and if you need a monopod just extend 1 leg...

04-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm with SOldBear here. I use a Manfrotto 234 Tilt head on the walking stick/monopod I use, which I've converted from RC2 to an Arca Swiss compatible clamp. I want a monopod for very lightweight use, so the tripod with one leg is not a good solution for me. I use grip straps on all my camera bodies, and each has a similar A-S plate/base for the strap as was illustrated in that post.

The Manfrotto 468MG ballhead I use with and without my Wimberley Sidekick on the tripod, I've also converted the QR to a Wimberley (A-S compatible) conversion clamp that they had made for this particular head.

I used to use Manfrotto RC 2 QRs, but with heavy glass (300/2.8 + size class), found the system a little unstable -- but it certainly is quick and secure, easily available, and inexpensive. The higher line Manfrotto QR systems are more stable, but they're big and not nearly as available. The A-S clamps and plates are just more universal for higher-end support options, and are rock solid.

If you plan to use support like this a lot, and aren't just looking for the bargain solution, it would probably be to your advantage to look into Arca-Swiss compatible heads. There are lower cost alternatives in this style if you're just starting out (some of the Velbon ballheads are good examples)

Scott
04-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #9
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
My Giottos Vitruvian lets you pull off one of the legs and turn it into a monopod. It also uses the Arca Swiss ball head.
Okay, somebody has to ask it.

If you pull one of the legs off of a tripod, doesn't that leave you with a bipod?
04-27-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Okay, somebody has to ask it.

If you pull one of the legs off of a tripod, doesn't that leave you with a bipod?
Bipod? That would be the photographer.
04-27-2011, 07:40 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No, the photgrapher would be a biped.