Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Broken shutter-release button on Pentax K-x

During a photoshoot this weekend the unthinkable happened. My tripod malfunctioned and my camera crashed into the concrete. Upon further inspection, I found out it landed on the corner where the shutter-release button is located. Luckily, I took out the batteries and let the camera cool off and it seemed to be working fine.

Then, this morning while about to take some more pictures, I noticed the shutter-release button wouldn't even click. I realize that because I dropped the camera, I voided the warranty, so I was wondering about how much do you think this repair will cost?

04-26-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The shutter release button failed on my K200D. It cost $2.04 plus shipping. I replaced it myself. Taking the camera apart is easy. Removing the old shutter switch and soldering the new part is not so easy. I was able to do, so it can be done. Do you have a remote? That would let you test as well. If the camera fails to fire with both the remote and the camera release then you have some other problem. I have photos from the K200D repair. It should be similar to the K-X. Post back if interested in the pics and I will try to post them, or link to them some where else. I have not been able to post here for quite some time.
04-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yes, please post those pictures! If I could fix my camera for under $50 I would be over the moon! I'm gonna test it later tonight with a friends remote and hopefully it works alright. Thank you, gp1806!
04-26-2011, 12:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you are going to DIY, it's better to open it up and locate the actual flaw b4 ordering anything.

04-26-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want a quick fix to work the shutter until you fix the camera one, read this... take less then 5 minutes for around 2-3 dollars
Remote shutter trigger for Digital Cameras

cheers and good luck
04-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fashionista20100 Quote
Yes, please post those pictures! If I could fix my camera for under $50 I would be over the moon! I'm gonna test it later tonight with a friends remote and hopefully it works alright. Thank you, gp1806!
These first show the screws you need to remove. There is a screw that you get to from the battery compartment that I couldn't photograph.

Watch those wires.

The shutter switch.

Watch out for these wipers on the on/off switch. They are fragile.

EDIT:
Well, the pics aren't showing. Look in my album 'K200D repair'. I did something wrong.
Anyone know what I should do?

Last edited by gp1806; 04-26-2011 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Pictures don't show