Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 04:17 AM   #1

My shutter constantly goes off with the touch of every button!!

I have a Pentax *ist DL2 camera, which I bought second hand on ebay, but from a very lovely, recommended seller, so he wasn't having me on. But recently, every button I press seems to set the shutter off and it makes the clinking sound as if your taking a photo. However, no photo is taken and the LCD screen is constantly suck on, although not showing any preview or menu, it just shows a background light. Also, nothing is showing out of the eye-piece so I can take any photos or do anything without the shutter going off when a button is pressed. When I turn it on, it also takes a few seconds to show on the top screen that its on, so I keep thinking the camera isn't on/working. However, prior to this happening while I was on holiday a week or so ago, and it was fine to start with and on the last day, they batteries went and the camera would not function, however on the top screen, before it shut down, it was telling me I still had FULL battery life, so I didn't understand that the batteries went or how they could have gone. However, because of the hot/warm weather, I thought this may have caused something inside the camera. I hope someone can help me as I've only just bought it! Thanks.

04-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can you return it?
04-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
Well, I could, but I know its something that I've done. Someone told me earlier it may be that I used different battery types in the camera. I had two different voltage batteries in at once, so it's probably my own fault. I'm so annoyed with myself!
04-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NellyIves Quote
Well, I could, but I know its something that I've done. Someone told me earlier it may be that I used different battery types in the camera. I had two different voltage batteries in at once, so it's probably my own fault. I'm so annoyed with myself!
I can't see how that would hurt it. The camera runs until the voltage drops below some minimum level. Putting different batteries in would just change the final output voltage because the batteries are in series.

04-27-2011, 07:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sounds like the mirror stuck at up position. Either the circuit is dying or the mirror motor problem (I guess).
04-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #6

Original Poster
I took the lens off and fired a few shots and the mirror just goes up and down, like its just flopping and not working properly. Can this be fixed? I bet its going to cost a fair bit too! :\
04-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Return it for refund and buy a different one.

Last edited by gp1806; 05-02-2011 at 04:22 AM.
04-29-2011, 07:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's possible that the firmware has become corrupted, possibly as a result of your battery "adventure." Or it could be that you're*using a card which isn't supported (if you have the original firmware, which doesn't support SDHC cards) and therefore you need the updated firmware. It won't cost anything to test it. Go to Pentax's website and download the firmware update for your camera then carefully follow the instructions to the letter. (That's really important). Definitely worth a try. Let us know how you get on.
05-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe it is your mirror. I was just in Japan last week using my K10D when I was shooting, the shutter opened and it acted like a long exposure. The mirror stayed in the up position and the shutter curtain was closed. It banged on the camera and the mirror went to the normal position. It took a couple more pictures normally and then the camera started to sound like it was taking a picture any time I half pressed the shutter button to autofocus or touched any button on the camera or turned it on or off. On closer inspection I found the mirror is not all the way down. I will have to send it in for repair. Thank God I had my K20D with me on that trip!!