Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 04:58 AM   #1

adapter for Vivitar 70-210mm ser.1 Lens

I'm a newcomer to Pentax so please excuse my ignorance regarding lenses. I just picked up a Vivitar 70-210mm Ser. 1 lens(ver. 1) and need the adapter to fit the K7. I THINK i know the answer from my research but I'm a bit confused with K and M mounts etc. Per Adams Adapter primer and my own research, it looks like the original Pentax 30120 adapter would maximize the lenses potential. Can anyone confirm this?? or suggest the proper adapter?

thanks for any help you can provide.
Bill

ps. I got this lens for specific reasons but also so I could really understand my new camera and to make me learn how to REALLY use a lens!

04-27-2011, 05:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is the lens a screw mount lens?

If so, any of th eM42 to K mount adaptors will work.

If the lens is a K mount, there is no adaptor, it mounts directly. (Look for PK printed on the Lens just above the aperture ring)

If the lens is any other mount it simply won't fit
04-27-2011, 05:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A couple of links:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/127197-can-i-use-pk-moun...entax-k-r.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/112724-m4...a-contact.html

Just google "adapter m42 pentaxforums" for more.
04-27-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wpg Quote
I'm a bit confused with K and M mounts etc.
M42 is a threaded screw mount (42mm diameter) that was originally developed by Praktica and was subsequently adapted by MANY camera makers including Pentax. It is sometimes referred to as universal or Pentax screwmount.

K-mount is a bayonet mount developed by Pentax in the mid-1970s for the Pentax-K series camera bodies. It replaced the M42 mount for the Pentax line. As with M42, the K-mount was adapted by makers other than Pentax. For a full discussion (and I do mean full), see the lens mount page on B. Dimtrov's Web site:
Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page
As a practical summary, K-mount lenses may be grouped as follows:
  • Basic K -- no electrical contacts on mount face
  • A-Contact -- Several electrical contacts on mount face, "A" position on aperture ring
  • AF -- mechanical and/or electrical support for auto focus
Cross compatibility between cameras and bodies is extensive, though there is a cautionary note. In the 1980s, Ricoh developed a variation of the K-mount (Ricoh/Rikenon-P) that works great on Ricoh cameras and all other manual focus K-mount bodies. Unfortunately, there is a feature of that mount (the infamous "Ricoh Pin" that has potential to jam into the AF drive on Pentax AF bodies. Be wary of any K-mount lens with a "P" instead of an "A" on the aperture ring or labeling as "Ricoh", "Ricoh/Pentax", "KR", "KA/R", etc. There are work-arounds to the pin issue, should you find yourself with such a lens.

Have fun!

Steve

P.S. The Ricoh pin issue was not Ricoh's fault. Pentax developed their AF mount after the Ricoh product came to market and presumably with knowledge of the incompatibility.

04-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
wpg

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick responses! I forget to say that the lens is screw- mount. I have ordered the adapter so I should be good to go. I appreciate the informative responses and will read up on them. Can't wait to try this out! Thanks.

Bill