Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #1

New camera tests.

my new K-5 with two kit lenes arrives today and as a newbie having spent much to much money i want the camera and lenses to be in good order from the start. I have read about problems with staining? and not so good lenses. This is my first real camera and very new to SLR and want to test camera and lens for issues. So what is staining and how can i check all is ok? Is there a test i can do on the lenes also? Bought camera from Warehouse Express in the uk who i have used before and trust them if i need to send it back. Just want to be sure that my pocket busting purchase is fine.
Thanks for any advise from a very exited nearly Petax owner.

Jim

04-27-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The stains look (most of the time) like a string of pearls. Set your aperture to the highest number, focus on a while wall / ceiling and take a shot. Copy the image to the computer and inspect. Examples of stains can be found in the stain threads here and elsewhere. I think that current K5s don't have the issue; my first one had and my second one has not. Serials above 40xxx should be OK. You can install photome and check the production date of the camera. Produced after 01/01/2011 should also be OK.

Just go out and take photos. If you're not happy with the results, post examples here and the people will try to help to find the problem.

Congratulations with your purchase, enjoy it.
04-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

sterretje offers good advice as per...

As for your lenses... The pentax kit-lens is often regarded as one of the best kit-lenses of any manufacturer... It does have its limitations but these can be counter somewhat by your new K5's extrodinary High-ISO performance...

Seriously... just play with your new camera... Everything is there for you to get some cracking images...
04-28-2011, 04:43 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the warranty period is at least one year in any part of the world, at least 2 years in most countries. You have all that time to complain about problems, if any. Just use the camera and only worry if you find a problem.

04-28-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Just go ahead and shoot to create art, not specifically to find flaws in your gear.
If you have a problem, it should surface soon into your shoots.
The K-5 shouldn't be problematic if you buy it now from a reputable dealer, and the lenses should give you no problems at all.
Above all, enjoy your vocation.
04-28-2011, 08:53 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks all, put my mind at rest. I had the typical cant deliver today because some one has done there job wrong as usual this morning. So no camera yet and i was so so wanting to get home and play. Have to drive 40 miles to pick it up tonight, but i stilll cant wait.
^^
"Just go ahead and shoot to create art"

Love that.

Jim
04-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The wait for the battery to charge is the longest 3 hours of your life (or so it seems at the time).
04-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The wait for the battery to charge is the longest 3 hours of your life (or so it seems at the time).
Which makes me sooo happy I got a K-x that runs on AA's!!!

04-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #9

Original Poster
The three hours will give me enough time to read the manual. . . . . . .
04-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I would test the lenses carefully for consistency across the field, at various focal lengths and apertures. It doesn't really matter that you have a warranty, because it's unlikely any problems with the lenses would be repairable. So while you have an exchange privilege is the time to find out if you have good copies.

Paul