Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Method of manual focus

I have a K100D.

Pentax-M 50mm f1.4.

Is there a specific turning direction I should take to manually focus?

for instance, I am suppose to set my watch forward and not backward, meaning, if I am trying to set my watch to 5:30pm and I move the watch forward to 5:35, I went over. I don't just go backward and set to 5:30, I have to go back to 5:25, then move forward to 5:30 and the watch will be set properly.

Might be an old wives tale to set a watch like that, might not matter.

same goes for the lens though, am I suppose to focus toward infinity or from it in order to set focus?

or, does it matter?

04-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are focusing on a distant object, you will turn your focus ring in one direction. If you are focusing on a close object, you will turn the focus ring the other direction. With each there will likely be a reversal in direction to get it right and perhaps even several reversals. Beyond that, it doesn't matter. In other words, turn the focus ring to get your subject in focus.

04-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Capslock118 Quote
I have a K100D.

Pentax-M 50mm f1.4.

for instance, I am suppose to set my watch forward and not backward, meaning, if I am trying to set my watch to 5:30pm and I move the watch forward to 5:35, I went over. I don't just go backward and set to 5:30, I have to go back to 5:25, then move forward to 5:30 and the watch will be set properly.

same goes for the lens though, am I suppose to focus toward infinity or from it in order to set focus?

or, does it matter?
don't forget with your k100 if you hold your shutter button halfway down and focus, it will beep when you reach focus might have to turn the beep sound on in your menu
04-28-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Capslock118 Quote
I have a K100D.

Pentax-M 50mm f1.4.

or, does it matter?
IMHO, I think it does matter... if you focus from one end or the other, you'll notice you will get a "focus" confirmation in slightly different places and will not go "out of focus" for a bit if you keep turning the focusing ring. I've found it's usually best focused when you just get the in focus confirmation and it stays barely on. But, like people, lenses are all a little different, some focus better from infinity back while others focus sharper from the other end. You'll just need to determine how your lens does. Your 50/1.4 will be one of the harder to sharply focus wide open due to lack of Depth of Field.

04-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Focus exercises

I do neither, or maybe both. Linked are a series of manual focus exercises developed by Godfrey, a poster over at the "other" forum. I've found his exercises to be incredibly helpful. They are also incredibly boring, but so are practicing scales on a musical instrument. But just like doing scales exercises, I found manual focus exercises improved my skill level greatly.
you'll hate doing them but love what they do

NaCl(the old saw about Carnegie Hall still applies)H2O
04-28-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

To be honest I don't think it matters the direction you turn the focusing ring as eventually you will have to turn it back the other way. If you over shoot thn you just rotate it back a little. There is no 360 to get it back to infinity. Judging from your statement it would seem that you have never used a mf lens at all. There is a limit to the rotate of the focusing ring. As for where to start from it doesnt matter since it works on a screw principle and not a gear. If you ever take a lens apart most use a thread design to extend of compact the distant of the lens thus achieving focus

For watches some of the newer watches can be set in either direction backwards and forewords. However the reason why older watches need to be set only in the forward direction is because the gears inside can only rotate in one direction. If forced in the opposite direction it breaks and the watch no longer works. Not a wives tale. These are usually older mechanical ones and not quartz variety.
04-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter

here is an example of waiting for the beep...
I sat my k10 in front of the flower, turned the lens without looking through the viewfinder (wet and a bit on the lazy side that day)
not the greatest photo, but shows how effective using manual focus with the focus indication.

cheers
04-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #8

Hi slip, that is a great idea, if not only for comparison sake. I'm getting ready to install my focusing washers (shims) in order to correct the FF while relying on the focusing screen. But I do want to document the entire procedure and also see how the focus confirmation light and beep relate to manual focus before and after the correction. So knowing how focus sits just with the beep, then with the confirmation light (after turning off the beep), would be useful to me. Glad I read this thread.

04-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I found it's best to test with your camera and each lens to find what method works best. Put the camera on a tripod with a clear object to test focusing on. Then, slowly turn the focus ring until the focus confirmation just comes on and take a picture. Then turn a bit more and take another shot while the confirmation is on. Then, take one just after it goes out. Which looks best?

I have found that most of the time I get the best focus just after the focus confirmation goes off while turning towards infinity.
04-28-2011, 11:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You can not focus by turning it one direction Once you have reached the one end, you will never be able to go back and can only use that side (either nearby or infinity)
04-29-2011, 06:44 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
You can not focus by turning it one direction Once you have reached the one end, you will never be able to go back and can only use that side (either nearby or infinity)
- well, most of you got my point anyways

QuoteQuote:
IMHO, I think it does matter... if you focus from one end or the other, you'll notice you will get a "focus" confirmation in slightly different places and will not go "out of focus" for a bit if you keep turning the focusing ring.
I have the same experience which is why I asked. Good material to read through, thank you all.