Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2011, 05:32 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much you spend on a tripod really depends upon how you intend to use it. I see decent tripods at garage sales all the time. "Decent" assumes that they'll only be used from waist-high to slightly below shoulder-high. If you want something that will go from ground-level to above eye-level (and will hold a variety of cameras), then that will cost you. If I were you, I'd pick up an inexpensive tripod, shoot with the 18-200 for a year or so, then look back and evaluate where you need to upgrade.

04-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Tripods - My opinion is based on experience. I bought a plastic/aluminum tripod off of ebay for 11 cents - 7 dollars shipping. Used it for 4 years. Hated a lot of things about it, but learned a ton of what I liked and wanted next. To me that was invaluable. So, I would go check out craigslist and see what I could find for 10 to 20 bucks. It will not be perfect, but it will be good enough to get started and see if you like the concept of using one. More importantly, you will then know what features you want - twist leg locks or flip leg locks, 3 or 4 sections, over all weight - aluminum or carbon fiber. The type of head 3 way pan or ball head, along with the type of quick release, etc. etc. .....

My old one fell apart and I bought a travel one that I really like, along with a head that - for me is perfect. I did spend a tidy sum for the pair. I also, picked up a used one that I use for a much heavier pano head (nodal ninja 3).

The key is to find some equipment to use while you are learning, so that you don't go bankrupt buying equipment that you will hate and not use.

04-30-2011, 09:28 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Chriswirth930 Quote
Is there any ok tripod I can get for around $50 that is recommended?
I got this one: "Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head".

A tripod that does everything very well is maybe $300-600. That's OK if you're trying to get the best out of a heavy, long $1000 lens. I don't need that, I'm not going to get the big lens any time soon, and right now, I use the Dolica for almost everything else - macros, portraits, lens tests, etc.

Another option is finding something used. My father-in-law gave me an old tripod that isn't made of platinum-impregnated nanotubes or whatever. It works better for a long telephoto lens. You might have to look at tag sales and Craigslist for a while to get a sturdy old tripod. You won't want to hike up a mountain with it either.
04-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I think ill get the Dolica for now. I found it on Amazon for $40 shipped with a case.

04-30-2011, 12:39 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chriswirth930 Quote
I think ill get the Dolica for now. I found it on Amazon for $40 shipped with a case.
It'll do! :-)
05-01-2011, 07:30 AM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account

How come no one mentioned a circular polarizer? My lenses never go out without one.

And with his 18-200, he'll only have to buy ONE without any step rings.

Chris--CPs do an outstanding job of increasing color saturation, darkening skies (in a good way), and cutting down on glare in water and shining surfaces.

I don't know if you've ever been to San Fran, but it's a photographer's dream city. And even without a camera, it's a fantastic place--you're gonna have a BALL!!! RioRico here lives near there and can give you some shooting pointers/things to look for.

And if you like Dungeness crab, you're going to be in heaven. I ate it three times a day on my last visit!

But as far as a tripod goes, with you traveling and just getting into all this again, I doubt you're going to use yours that much. Unless your traveling partners (family?) will let you park by the bridge and kill an hour doing sunrise/sunset pictures, I myself never find much use for a tripod on family vacations. Now, if I ever had the opportunity to travel ALONE and make a real photo trip out of it, that's a different story.

And when you go to the wharf and see all of those seals, you're going to be pointing your camera in a million directions to get the best shots, and unless you're going to spend hours doing this, a tripod isn't practical.

Last edited by Ira; 05-01-2011 at 07:38 AM.
05-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah I purchased a UV filter but ill have to look into the cp. Are there any that you recommend?
05-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a website that specializes in locations that are great for pictures in CA. In San Francisco, you need to go to Treasure Island and take a set of images at night of the downtown area. Here are all the particulars...... and here are some other locations (click on the various titles for more information)enjoy!!

05-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
^^ Thank you very much This will be awesome!