Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-29-2011, 04:29 AM   #1

Can I use my old lenses? MZ7 to K5 or am I trying to punch above my weight

I am new to DSLR and considering replacing my SLR with a DSLR. A couple of questions:

- Am I trying to punch above my weight by going to a K5 from an MZ7? I am an amateur at photography generally and restricted to a few photos for pleasure (particularly love using macro for close up of foliage, building textures and animals) and holidays.

- I have an MZ7 purchased in 2000 with Sigma lenses. A Sigma 28-80 with macro at 80 plus a Sigma 100-300. Can these lenses be used? I have been told various things including; no they won't work, they'll only work on manual, apply a factor of 1.6 (meaning the 28-80 will act as 45-128, etc. I have no idea what to believe anymore.

I couldn't exactly find the specific answers so I am really sorry if this has been covered before

04-29-2011, 04:31 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the lenses will work, and if they work in auto on your mz, they will work in auto mode on the k5. 28 on digital gives the same field of view as 42 on film, so the lens won't seem as wide as usual, but other than that it should be perfectly usable.

The k5 has a lot of advanced features, but it's fairly simple to operate in P or green mode even if you're a beginner.
04-29-2011, 04:48 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick response. So that means I would need to buy another lens to get a wider field of view?

I was offered a 2 yr old Canon Eos 450D for $800 with an 18-155 and 55-250 lenses. So I am torn with my love for my Pentax and the lure of an affordable upgrade to DSLR.

Probably the wrong forum to ask about changing to another brand!
04-29-2011, 04:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your quick reply. So does this mean I need to get a lens that gives me a wider field of view?

Trying to do the maths at present as I was offered a 2 yr old Canon EOS 450D with 18-55 and 55-250 lenses for $800. I love the feel of my Pentax so I feel guilty considering it but think it may be a good and affordable way to get started on DSLR. I think the cost of processing always stopped me using the SLR more in the past. (Probably the wrong forum to ask this question!)

(Not sure if my other response was posted as not too sure about use of this forum).

04-29-2011, 05:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

K5 with the accompanying Kit lens (18-55mm) and the 2 lenses listed and you should be set-up to do a fair bit of stuff...

If they're autofocus k-mount lenses there is no reason why the auto-focus should not work on the K5 (also K-mount)...

The K5 is also a far superior camera to the canon 450D... Plus with the K5's kit lens and the 2 lenses you've listed you'll have more reach and more options...
04-29-2011, 05:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can get a New Pentax K-R two lens kit with 18-55mm and 55-300mm lenses for $800 at B&H or Amazon. A K-R with just the 18-55mm lens is less. I think the K-R is a better camera than the Canon you mention.
04-29-2011, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

If you have limited funds, this may be reason to give thought. It sounds like you have only some interest in photography. Perhaps with the right digital camera, your interests will increase.
You suggest that you can get a camera that was produced about four years ago with two fairly useful lenses for $800. Or you are thinking of continuing your experience with Pentax by getting a new, more feature packed, newly released K-5 that may cost you $1300 and you will already have two fairly useful lenses.
It always helps if you can hold the two comparable cameras to see how you like the feel and access to the features.
Can we assume you have already addressed the fact that you should be able to get what is arguably still a better camera than the Canon, a newer K-x or K-r for instance and still spend under $900? And still be able to use your two lenses.

And just for the record, while this may be a site devoted to Pentax, there are many members who will always give honest and very useful information for you to consider. For many here, photography is more important than brand wars. We hope you will carefully consider Pentax but by your choice.

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 04-29-2011 at 06:19 AM.
04-29-2011, 06:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by highly amateur Quote
Thanks for the quick response. So that means I would need to buy another lens to get a wider field of view?
You say that you will mostly use your camera "...restricted to a few photos for pleasure (particularly love using macro for close up of foliage, building textures and animals) and holidays."

In that event, you do not really need the wider field of view that much. Your Sigma 28-80 mm on your MZ7 will "appear" like a 40-120mm on an APS-C sensor. In fact, I was recently donated the equivalent SMC Pentax-FA 28-80 mm (sitting on a PZ-3). That lens would hardly be regarded as an outstanding lens by any standard - yet, I am surprised how pleassant pictures it actually provides and how much I use it now on my K200D rather than the modern 18-55 counterpart kit lens that I also have.

B.R. / Steen G. B.
05-01-2011, 01:58 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks very much everybody for the advice. I have decided to go with the cheap option for the time being and taken the Canon. I tried the K5 and I must say I do prefer the feel of it to the Canon. I'm not sure how much I might get into photography again so I figure I can try the Canon out and will be able to get my money back if I decide to upgrade to the K5. You have made me happy that my lenses are wasted as I have an affection for my Pentax as I purchased it for an African safari about 12 years ago and I'm glad I can look to using the lenses with a future upgrade.

Thanks once again for the upfront advice.
05-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If it's not too late, you should realize that $800 is *not* a particularly great deal for a camera with two lenses. I mean,it's fine, but as others have already stated, you can easily meet or beat that staying with Pentax. You aren't saving a thing by going to Canon here.
05-02-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes. You could look at it this way. You could easily get a new K-x kit that includes two lenses for under $700 or the K-r kit that include two lenses for close to $700. Between either of those two choices would then have arguably a better camera (more features and newer production models) and have a total of four lenses (including the two you have now but with some redundancy) for perhaps less money than the older production model Canon and two lenses. Canon lenses are typically more expensive to purchase than Pentax compatible lenses.
The "cheaper" route, might be Pentax. It also happens, in this case perhaps to be a better route.