Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #1

Kx Contrast

I have a new Kx and in my opinion am having some issues with contrast on my photos. Also it does not seem to matter what lens I use. I have tried the Vivitar 135mm 1:2.8 - Pentax 28-80 SMC FA 1:35-5.6, Pentax SMC DAL 1:3.5-5.6 18-55 AL, Pentax SMC FAJ 1:4.5-5.8 75-300MM AL, all with the same results.

Both of the following photos were taken without a flash.

The first photo is one that has not been adjusted in Photoshop.

The second one has had the contrast adjusted.

I have looked in the manual for some setting that might help with the contrast issue to no avail. Can someone point me in the right direction?

04-29-2011, 02:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you shooting in raw?

Have you adjusted the contrast setting by pressing FN and center button? (image settings or something)
04-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Are you shooting in raw?

Have you adjusted the contrast setting by pressing FN and center button? (image settings or something)
Shooting in jpg (tired raw -same results).

I am not aware of this setting, but will be looking in the manual. Thanks for the help.
04-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jim, you'll need to have some appreciation of what your custom image settings do.
Definitely read about it in the manual. Your lenses aren't the most brilliant in terms of colour and contrast rendition, so images produced by them will need some retouching after shooting.
Each custom image mode is also customisable according to your image preferences.
Shooting in JPG ensures these settings are applied. Increasing contrast and saturation would give you results similar to what you expect.
Nevertheless, it is not always desirable to do it this way, as you are more likely going to 'clip' (lose) highlight and shadow detail from your images as a result of having strong contrast and saturation settings. This is the virtue of RAW, but requires some work after the shot to make it stand out the way you want, but still retaining all of the highlight and shadow detail you may otherwise lose shooting in JPEG.

04-29-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I do not have my camera or manual on me but there definitely are settings that will help with that. You can choose things like natural, vivid, B&W etc, also a custom setting where you can modify each parameter to your liking. It's in the menu but cannot remember the section.
04-29-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a 4-way controller keystroke - the one with the hexagon picture on it.
Very easy, but may take some experimenting to get the kind of results you want, and then again, each scene may need slightly different settings to get the best results to your taste.
04-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
... Your lenses aren't the most brilliant in terms of colour and contrast rendition, so images produced by them will need some retouching after shooting.
Also if you can, try to use them at f8 to f11, not smaller numbers like f3.5. The lens will have more contrast at these apertures, and be sharper (which will look like more contrast).
04-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Jim, you'll need to have some appreciation of what your custom image settings do.
Definitely read about it in the manual. Your lenses aren't the most brilliant in terms of colour and contrast rendition, so images produced by them will need some retouching after shooting.
Each custom image mode is also customisable according to your image preferences.
Shooting in JPG ensures these settings are applied. Increasing contrast and saturation would give you results similar to what you expect.
Nevertheless, it is not always desirable to do it this way, as you are more likely going to 'clip' (lose) highlight and shadow detail from your images as a result of having strong contrast and saturation settings. This is the virtue of RAW, but requires some work after the shot to make it stand out the way you want, but still retaining all of the highlight and shadow detail you may otherwise lose shooting in JPEG.
Thank you Ash, I appreciate the help.

04-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
I do not have my camera or manual on me but there definitely are settings that will help with that. You can choose things like natural, vivid, B&W etc, also a custom setting where you can modify each parameter to your liking. It's in the menu but cannot remember the section.
I was looking at the menu of options and found where I can adjust the setting. I will have to play with them tomorrow. Thanks for the comments KxBlaze.
04-29-2011, 05:30 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
Someone in a different posting (sorry don't remember who it was to give credit to) suggested using the PDCU4 software which came with the camera. Edit a few pictures in custom mode using the custom image tab. Once you find some settings to your liking, note them and enter them into the camera. It really reduced the trial and error of just doing with the camera.

Last edited by DanWeso; 04-29-2011 at 06:10 PM.
04-29-2011, 05:32 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Also if you can, try to use them at f8 to f11, not smaller numbers like f3.5. The lens will have more contrast at these apertures, and be sharper (which will look like more contrast).
Just1MoreDave, I did try the different f settings and that did not seem to help. I am going to do some more playing tomorrow... Thanks for the help.
04-30-2011, 12:24 AM   #12
Veteran Member

pick any of the custom settings , make a note of the preset [factory] settings , then set all of them to mid point. take an image like your example with some detail in deep shadow, then set the contrast only to full minus side and take the same image again and then tell us what you see in the shaadow area, I think you might get a pleasant surprise.
05-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
pick any of the custom settings , make a note of the preset [factory] settings , then set all of them to mid point. take an image like your example with some detail in deep shadow, then set the contrast only to full minus side and take the same image again and then tell us what you see in the shaadow area, I think you might get a pleasant surprise.
Why minus?
05-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

try it.
05-01-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
try it.
I fear change, but I'll trust you and give it a shot one day.