Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Inactive Account

little help here with studio lighting sets and stuff

hi im new to studio lighting sets and i want to buy storbes .. i have the k10d camera, the question is does any strobe work with it ? as well as the wireless triggers anything triggers can work or it has to be specific types due to the shoe pins ? i want to know how that work together in general (regarding that my country doesnt sell pentax or anything related to it at all) thank you

04-29-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi and welcome to the forums
About the strobes, there are several cheap studio options or there are the smaller battery powered speedlights..not sure to wich you are refering.
Any strobe will work (be carefull about the voltage though...only those with voltages lower than 5v are safe)
for information on the smaller you got speedlights.net or the strobist.blogspot.com...in speedlighting.com you can get information about techniques but it's aimed at canon users.
You can check radio triggers...with those you will be able to use any strobe you may find...the cactus V5 are fine...you got a great in depth review in the forum.
This is the drill: strobes will work but with some you will need a safeguard for the voltage (the cactus work as that too), most of them will have to be used in manual mode unless you are willing to pay for a newer pentax or Metz that is p-ttl compatible, and then buy ultra expensive radio triggers that support it too, or use strobes that got optical slave that recognises the first burst of the pttl and doesn't go off.
My advice: read strobist, they really provide usefull info and show the best way to lighting on the cheap.

I'm in that path right now too....my call, in this moment while i save up the money, is a set of radio triggers (3 cactus V5), 2 YN560 (while i pray for trouble free units), a pair of umbrellas, adapters to put the speedlights on light tripods i got, and finally a black and a white background with it's stand.