Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Red focus indicator VS Green Hexagon on M lens

Before I begin, I have looked through previous posts on this topic, but I just want to clarify this on my K-r.

I believe that the red focus indicator shows "where I am focusing" and the green hexagon shows "when I'm in focus". Is that correct?

Additionally, I have just been using an M lens with my K-r, and I only just found out about the green hexagon recently (should have realised earlier). However, now that I've discovered both, I've set up my AF focus to be center only. With just a little playing around, I managed to get both the red and green indicators on, and both seem to be light up when I manage to be in focus. So in total I have three questions follow:

1. (From above) Is my definition of the focus indicators correct?
2. If I have center only AF selected on an M lens, will both indicators (as well as the beep) turn on when my subject is in focus?
3. Apart from getting my subject in focus and recomposing, is there any other way to focus on my subject when it is not in the center?

Thanks for reading

05-01-2011, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

1. Yes.

2. Yes, but remember if you are shooting wide open with a fast prime dof will be pretty thin, and the area you thought was in focus may not actually be where the focus is.

3. When manually focusing, you can focus on whatever you want to focus on, without using focus and recompose. Set the focus switch on M so that the shutter will fire with or without confirmation.

Last edited by MPrince; 05-02-2011 at 06:55 AM.
05-01-2011, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think no matter which Pentax DSLR it is, a manual focus lens (M42, K, M or A) means only the center focus point is active. If you have a model with red dots, that's the only one that lights up. With an F, FA or DA lens, the other points can also be active.
05-01-2011, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The red indicators serve 2 purposes
  1. when you select a focus point, it will light up briefly
  2. when focus is achieved, the one that the camera has used lights up briefly to indicate where it has focused; useful when focus mode is set to let the camera automatically decide on the best focus point and to remind you which point you selected
The green hexagon is the 'official' indicator; it will stay on while the subject is in focus.