Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I think so and that's only based on where the manufacturers divide them up. They have the optic design skill that I lack.. It may actually have more to do with the 50mm being a 'normal' lens in the true 35mm market (film and full frame). Actually I'm surprised people haven't asked you to spend thousands on lenses. I can understand the want for a single lens solution and if there was one, I would be there in a second. I'm afraid the lens would be so huge though (because it would also have to be Fast) I would never leave the house with it.

I'm also no expert with optics, so I try as much to understand and research when people mention something, so I really appreciate that insight (didn't notice it before too). As for the range, well, if money weren't an issue I would've just got a DA 18-135WR but as of now it's quite out of my budget XD so I was left choosing between the two lenses I posted above having trouble in terms of which might have better color rendition and contrast (since sharpness also, is expected to be not as sharp as I wish it would).

05-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Color rendition and contrast can be worked in post production.. sharpness and lens speed are most important IMHO. Honestly for shooting kids I prefer to use my old Tamron SP Adaptol 70-210mm f3.5 (Manual focus only) and shoot using "Catch in Focus" mode. I never have to worry about my subject being out of focus on the shot as long as you track the kid well or have your focus set for them to pass through (mid-slide, mid-swing etc..). I take my camera to the playgrounds with my kids as much as I can, and I barely every use the 18-135, let alone auto focus.
05-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I'm also no expert with optics, so I try as much to understand and research when people mention something, so I really appreciate that insight (didn't notice it before too). As for the range, well, if money weren't an issue I would've just got a DA 18-135WR but as of now it's quite out of my budget XD so I was left choosing between the two lenses I posted above having trouble in terms of which might have better color rendition and contrast (since sharpness also, is expected to be not as sharp as I wish it would).
I didn't notice your signature before. I see you already have the two lenses which may be, another reason no one else mentioned them ..

05-04-2011, 03:45 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just tested the FA 28-105 lens earlier... for some reason, I couldn't change the aperture, even in manual mode. Maybe the lens is broken? It does shift automatically from 3.5-5.6 when I zoom in and out, but I can't move it beyond that.

Seems I'm defaulted to the Sigma then So much for the SMC... thanks for the advice guys (or if you have a walkaround zoom lens there you wanna sell... PM me please )

05-04-2011, 05:54 AM   #20
Inactive Account

If the FA has an aperture ring with an A button on it (most do), the lens has to be set to A in order to use it. If it isn't then you must turn on the custom menu feature "Allow Aperture Ring = Permitted".

Check your PMs.

05-04-2011, 11:23 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yup, I'm a bit familiar with the A button and the Permit to shoot with aperture ring ever since I got my FA 100-300... it's just weird that the lens worked on the seller's cam, not on mine, but all my lenses worked fine on mine =))