Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
please help deciding >_<

I've asked before for a good walkaround lens and I thank you guys for giving me the best suggestions

So far, I came to discover two sellers locally that provided me these options:

Pentax 28-105 f/4-5.6 (w/o powerzoom, which they say is a Tamron rebadge) and
Sigma 18-125 f/3.5-5.6 DC (no HSM)

Range aside, which of the two do you think has better color and contrast rendition? Better bokeh? Hope it's not much of a bother to ask, especially to those who have used these lenses...

thanks in advance! Have a nice day everyone.~

05-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Go for the sigma as the old pentax isn't that good (see the lens reviews). Plus the added focal range will be nice
05-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'll disagree on that one. I have the 28-105 promaster (tamron) and I find it surprisingly sharp. Sharper than the kit lens IMHO. And for the 40 bucks I paid for it was a bargain.
05-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

You could recommend to consider also the 18-250mm. Manufactured by Tamron, the rebadged DA18-250mm is a great all-around lens. It is very solid and sturdy, with a solid track record of excellent operation in extreme conditions.

The lens is not longer in production, but you can find some excellent copies on the market place, at Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera (Used) and Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com. A fortnight ago, there were three copies on the market around US$350-360.

The 18-250mm has almost twice the range of the other lenses, and its IQ is well-respected (for a zoom of this range of focal length) by Pentaxians.

Hope that the comment will help.

Last edited by hcc; 05-02-2011 at 09:43 PM.
05-03-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
You could recommend to consider also the 18-250mm. Manufactured by Tamron, the rebadged DA18-250mm is a great all-around lens. It is very solid and sturdy, with a solid track record of excellent operation in extreme conditions.
I was told not too long ago on this very forum that this is not true. The Pentax has quick shift, the Tamron, does not. I don't know what currency the OP is dealing with (country) and I don't deny you saw a few for $350 or so but the typical price I see on Ebay USA (the usual pricing guide) is over $400. The lens is now out of production from Pentax as I understand it so the only way to get one is used. Prices in that market vary wildly.

To Alizarine: I cannot answer your actual question due to lack of real experience with either lens. What I Will say is that super zooms (lenses that go from wide angle to telephoto) usually suffer somewhere in terms of image quality. 50mm is usually the breaking point where they should be separated into two different lenses. That's my opinion based on limited experience with those types of lenses. There are of course exceptions to every case. I do have a promaster 28-105 and will say, it isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. It's at least as good as Pentax's 18-55 kit lens however and it will get you more reach if you can spare the wide end.

05-03-2011, 05:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I was told not too long ago on this very forum that this is not true. The Pentax has quick shift, the Tamron, does not. I don't know what currency the OP is dealing with (country) and I don't deny you saw a few for $350 or so but the typical price I see on Ebay USA (the usual pricing guide) is over $400. The lens is now out of production from Pentax as I understand it so the only way to get one is used. Prices in that market vary wildly.
I think whoever told you this was mistaken.

The Pentax DA18-250 was a rebadged Tamron 18-250, and neither of them have quick-shift focusing.
05-03-2011, 05:32 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
I think whoever told you this was mistaken.

The Pentax DA18-250 was a rebadged Tamron 18-250, and neither of them have quick-shift focusing.
Well fancy that... That'll learn me not to trust the internet .. I've never handled either lens and should really follow my own advice at times. Don't repeat anything unless you have fact to back it up. Thanks for the re-clarification.

05-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Well fancy that... That'll learn me not to trust the internet .. I've never handled either lens and should really follow my own advice at times. Don't repeat anything unless you have fact to back it up. Thanks for the re-clarification.
Don't say that; I (finally) got a cell phone with internet and was planning on relying on the internet for everything now

I think the one debated point regarding the DA vs Tamron 18-250 is whether or not the coatings on the glass is different. I personally have no idea as I didn't have copies of each lens at the same time, nor do I know if I would have been able to tell one way or another even if I did.

05-03-2011, 05:46 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Don't say that; I (finally) got a cell phone with internet and was planning on relying on the internet for everything now

I think the one debated point regarding the DA vs Tamron 18-250 is whether or not the coatings on the glass is different. I personally have no idea as I didn't have copies of each lens at the same time, nor do I know if I would have been able to tell one way or another even if I did.
Well, you have 2 up on me. The only version I ever saw was a Nikon version when they were first released so I can tell you even less about the lens. That is, from personal experience backed by fact. I Could tell Plenty about it but it would probably all be BS. Apparently the research has been done but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the typical long range zoom kit. 18-55 plus 55-300.

05-03-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, you have 2 up on me. The only version I ever saw was a Nikon version when they were first released so I can tell you even less about the lens. That is, from personal experience backed by fact. I Could tell Plenty about it but it would probably all be BS. Apparently the research has been done but I'm surprised no one has mentioned the typical long range zoom kit. 18-55 plus 55-300.
I've tried both versions (and more than one copy of each) in hopes of finding a copy without severe zoom creep (I was not successful in that regard). The 18-135 has no zoom creep and is much better built with WR seals, but it doesn't have the same reach and is more expensive. It seems there's always trade-offs

Looking back at the original post, I think people haven't brought up the 18-55 + 55-300 because the OP said he was looking for a walkaround lens, and based on the two specific lenses he asked about, I might have also assumed he meant a single lens. That said, the 18-55+55-300 is certainly going to give you the most IQ for the dollar, in addition to giving you the most overall range and reach. I can't think of a better telephoto zoom (for the money) than the 55-300 in terms of size, cost and IQ.
05-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I've tried both versions (and more than one copy of each) in hopes of finding a copy without severe zoom creep (I was not successful in that regard). The 18-135 has no zoom creep and is much better built with WR seals, but it doesn't have the same reach and is more expensive. It seems there's always trade-offs

Looking back at the original post, I think people haven't brought up the 18-55 + 55-300 because the OP said he was looking for a walkaround lens, and based on the two specific lenses he asked about, I might have also assumed he meant a single lens. That said, the 18-55+55-300 is certainly going to give you the most IQ for the dollar, in addition to giving you the most overall range and reach. I can't think of a better telephoto zoom (for the money) than the 55-300 in terms of size, cost and IQ.
As you said, there are always trade offs. Zoom creep is something I won't tolerate or rather, cannot. In participating in the Single challenges for the last several months, I've learned something about myself. I can take just about any picture I want, with just about any focal length (some obvious restrictions aside) if I'm willing to adjust myself rather than the camera. The 18-55 could easily ride a small bag, large pocket, etc while the 55-300 stays on the camera. For most things, that focal range would be among the most useful focal range. It's really a matter of what one wants to do with the lens that determines its true value.

05-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A while back on the other Pentax forum, a member posted about his Tamron 18-250mm and zoom creep. He had sent it to Tamron complaining about creep. Tamron said that the lens was working as intended and would not be changed under warranty, but he could pay to have it adjusted. He paid and the lens came back tight, no creep. He said the lens was very hard to zoom after the 'fix'. It seems Tamron designed in the zoom creep and added the lock button to stop creep while not in use.
05-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
A while back on the other Pentax forum, a member posted about his Tamron 18-250mm and zoom creep. He had sent it to Tamron complaining about creep. Tamron said that the lens was working as intended and would not be changed under warranty, but he could pay to have it adjusted. He paid and the lens came back tight, no creep. He said the lens was very hard to zoom after the 'fix'. It seems Tamron designed in the zoom creep and added the lock button to stop creep while not in use.
I think I recall reading that as well. I have no doubt the zoom creep is a side effect of the design, and as you said, if the zoom is adjusted properly it will creep. If you get rid of the creep, the zoom will be too tight. The lock button works fine when you're not using the lens, but in general use I personally found the creep to be a bit annoying.
05-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ooking back at the original post, I think people haven't brought up the 18-55 + 55-300 because the OP said he was looking for a walkaround lens, and based on the two specific lenses he asked about, I might have also assumed he meant a single lens.
Yup sir I meant a single lens... I found it a bit tedious having to fumble with lenses at most times when in events, like children's birthday parties. I have the kit+DA 55-300 combo and they really are a fine set if things weren't so fast paced.

What I Will say is that super zooms (lenses that go from wide angle to telephoto) usually suffer somewhere in terms of image quality. 50mm is usually the breaking point where they should be separated into two different lenses. That's my opinion based on limited experience with those types of lenses. There are of course exceptions to every case. I do have a promaster 28-105 and will say, it isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. It's at least as good as Pentax's 18-55 kit lens however and it will get you more reach if you can spare the wide end.
I'll take note of this.. so 50 is sort of a breaking point.. ayt~ thanks!
05-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Yup sir I meant a single lens... I found it a bit tedious having to fumble with lenses at most times when in events, like children's birthday parties. I have the kit+DA 55-300 combo and they really are a fine set if things weren't so fast paced.

I'll take note of this.. so 50 is sort of a breaking point.. ayt~ thanks!
I think so and that's only based on where the manufacturers divide them up. They have the optic design skill that I lack.. It may actually have more to do with the 50mm being a 'normal' lens in the true 35mm market (film and full frame). Actually I'm surprised people haven't asked you to spend thousands on lenses. I can understand the want for a single lens solution and if there was one, I would be there in a second. I'm afraid the lens would be so huge though (because it would also have to be Fast) I would never leave the house with it.