Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Incorrect Meta Data

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, I hope a mod will please move if this is incorrect.

I bought a Tokina At-x 28-70 F:2.8 from Ebay. (I think it is an original version, but info is hard to find)

Popped it on to my K-5 and it looks like a keeper as my new walk around lens - but -

The meta data shows it as a 'Pentax F 28 - 80 F:3.5 - 4.5'

My questions are these -

Why is it doing this?

Can I change it or edit the meta data?

Thanks in avdance, I know there are some guru's out there who will be able to help.

Last edited by wizofoz; 05-05-2011 at 05:51 PM.
05-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax cameras don't record lens names; just numeric codes (and even that, only for lenses that include and transmit such data). Any program that wants to display a lens name needs its own table that lists what lenses go with what codes. So whatever program you are using to view the metadata must not know about that particular lens and is apparently trying to guess. If the lens does actually transmit the info, then it's possible another program would display the name correctly, but I'm guessing, being an older lens, that one doesn't transmit the data in the first place.
05-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Marc. I was using Lightroom 3.3. I'll try something different and see what happens.
05-05-2011, 07:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, I hove a mod will please move if this is incorrect.

I bought a Tokina At-x 28-70 F:2.8 from Ebay. (I think it is an original version, but info is hard to find)

Popped it on to my K-5 and it looks like a keeper as my new walk around lens - but -

The meta data shows it as a 'Pentax F 28 - 80 F:3.5 - 4.5'

My questions are these -

Why is it doing this?

Can I change it or edit the meta data?

Thanks in avdance, I know there are some guru's out there who will be able to help.
Why is it doing this?:
You could try looking at the meta data in a software like PhotoME. Look under Manufacturer notes - Lens ID and Lens name(s). For example my Sigma 18-50 kit lens has ID "3+44" - but so have for example the Tamron 35-90 AF and a number of other Sigma Lenses. And the software lists all of them (that is all those that it has in its data base). So, the simple answer is: Your Tokina happenes to have the same lens ID as the Pentax 28-80.

Can I change or edit?:
Maybe some clever guy would know. To me it does not appear to be readily edited. At least I cannot do so with any of my (3) meta data editors.

B.R. / Steen G. B.

05-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Edit (additional info on PhotoME):
Further down the list - still under manufacturer notes - there is additional "binary lens info" and thereafter the software pinpoints the correct lens. It could be interesting to see how the software reads your lens.

S G B
05-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi wizofoz
It appears, as Stone G indicates, that some/all of the tags in the Pentax table of the metadata are write protected.

One possibility, not ideal, is to use exiftool and
issue the following shell commands to put your own lens data in the XMP-aux table:

[prq001@localhost Tests]$ exiftool -overwrite_original -LensID=3 imgp0064.jpg
1 image files updated
[prq001@localhost Tests]$ exiftool -overwrite_original -Lens='MyLens' imgp0064.jpg
1 image files updated
[prq001@localhost Tests]$ exiftool -overwrite_original -LensInfo='MyLenswasReallyThis' imgp0064.jpg
1 image files updated

The following command gives a full listing of all the metadata
[prq001@localhost Tests]$ exiftool -a -u -g1 imgp0064.jpg
and I only paste the aux tags here

---- XMP-x ----
XMP Toolkit : Image::ExifTool 7.67
---- XMP-aux ----
Lens : MyLens
Lens ID : 3
Lens Info : MyLenswasReallyThis
---- XMP-pdf ----
Author : PacRim

exiftool will allow update of all files in a folder as a batch.

Doing the above did not harm my files but do a test before using!