Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #1

Cleaning ?

Would I be better off to buy a LensPen and a rocket blower separately or buy a Giottos kit, as seen here Amazon.com: Giottos CL1001 Large Cleaning Kit with Small Rocket Blaster: Camera & Photo?

Sorry I don't know how to put the link any different.

05-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I have this kit, I bought it at a local shop here in Austin. I really like that brush, It makes quick work of any dust on my filters. I really like the blower. I have to put liked, due to the fact my cat loved it also! I now have the largr blower, but they work great. I carry the blower now, and whenever I take a lens off or put one on, I give a quick couple of shots. My stuff seems to be staying clean with it. I shot some pics of a warehouse fire a couple of weeks ago, and when I got home both of the filters on the lenses were trashed from the smoke and steam. I used the liquid cleaner and a lens cloth, and they came out great! I also have a lens pen and use it. Buy both, you will use it.
05-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Well, I have both. I got the Giottos as a bonus when I bought the camera and the lenspen about a year ago.
Since I bought the lenspen, which does a great job at cleaning the glass, I only use the Giottos blower in some occasions. That cleaning liquid is also quite good but the lenspen is always with me. The other stuff is not as portable if you only carry a bag and not a backpack. Also the graphite in the pen's cap wears off in time so it may only be good for about a year or so.
So you can go for a bigger blower and a lenspen but if you don't have any other cleaning tools, go for the kit. You'll definitely need a blower as well for dust specs that won't shake off the sensor.
05-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter

The Lenspen and blower are perfect for on the go cleaning so I would get these. I mostly do my lens cleaning before I even go out shooting or only if it needs to be. I don’t have a cleaning kit. This may sound funny but for large or stubborn smears I use a microfiber cloth and a small drop of my wife’s glass cleaning solution recipe (1/4 cup of white distilled vinegar mixed with 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol and 1/2 cup of water), which I can always take a few ounces along in a small bottle. Once the smears/smudges are gone, I finish the cleaning off with the Lenspen. Please note the cleaning solution and microfiber cloth are for cleaning lenses or filters only. Never use it on the camera’s sensor or mirror…that’s a different story! Just remember never to dismount the lens from the camera in a “hostile” environment (i.e. smoky, dusty or windy conditions including rooms with fans or AC blowing.) If you do need to dismount the lens for any reason, always face the camera down.