Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Best Pentax DSLR-most user friendly for m lenses

Hi Guys,
Is there any Pentax DSLR I can manipulate fully manually and just use a light meter? And if not what is my most user friendly option.
Val

05-04-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All Pentax DSLRs can be used fully manually in M exposure mode. Just make sure that the option to allow use of an aperture ring is set to 'permitted' in the custom menu. You then set the aperture on the lens and the shutter speed on the camera to match your external light meter reading.

The most user friendly option is to set the camera up like that, and use the green button (where available, otherwise the Av+/- button) to meter and set exposure using the camera's meter.
05-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you want to use a light meter, by all means, go ahead, but as noted above, you don't need to. The camera can't read the aperture, so it has to stop down temporarily to meter, but it is perfectly happy to do so if you hit the Green button (in which case it sets an appropriate shutter speed for you) or DOF preview (in which case it simply displays the meter reading so you can adjust shutter speed or aperture yourself.

However, some models have issues with exposure accuracy using this approach. Apparently the K10D and K20D were worst, which is too bad, because they also had some of the best viewfinders. Installing a different focus screen helped.

Among other models, the K-7 and K-5 have the best viewfinders - very marginally smaller than the K10D and K20D, but with 100% coverage as opposed to only 96% or whatever. The other "K" models have somewhat smaller viewfinders. It's still perfectly possible to use them with manual lenses, but if manual lenses are your main concern, might as well get the best viewfinder you can.
05-04-2011, 09:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by valarie Quote
Hi Guys,
Is there any Pentax DSLR I can manipulate fully manually and just use a light meter? And if not what is my most user friendly option.
Val
Features which aren't important for M-type lenses: AF accuracy/speed, P-TTL flash, any mode except M or B, multi-segment metering, AF points, AF assist lamp, maybe multi-exposure or HDR.

SR is very useful, except maybe with M-type zooms. TTL flash is nice but none of the TTL-flash-capable models have SR, so it depends on which you'll use more.
The viewfinder is slightly better on pentaprism models, for easier focus. Dual control wheels might not be useful; it does not look like you can set one dial to shutter speed and another to ISO in M mode, at least on the K-7 (only one I checked).

ISO performance and noise still matter, so the newest cameras have something to offer there. The ideal camera is a K-5 with broken AF for $300.

I'd rule out the *ist DL, *ist DL2 or K110D - neither SR nor TTL flash. As mentioned, the K10D and K20D have some metering inaccuracies, but might be workable if they fit in the budget.

05-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
thanks
05-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If you want to use a light meter, by all means, go ahead, but as noted above, you don't need to. The camera can't read the aperture, so it has to stop down temporarily to meter, but it is perfectly happy to do so if you hit the Green button (in which case it sets an appropriate shutter speed for you) or DOF preview (in which case it simply displays the meter reading so you can adjust shutter speed or aperture yourself.

However, some models have issues with exposure accuracy using this approach. Apparently the K10D and K20D were worst, which is too bad, because they also had some of the best viewfinders. Installing a different focus screen helped.

Among other models, the K-7 and K-5 have the best viewfinders - very marginally smaller than the K10D and K20D, but with 100% coverage as opposed to only 96% or whatever. The other "K" models have somewhat smaller viewfinders. It's still perfectly possible to use them with manual lenses, but if manual lenses are your main concern, might as well get the best viewfinder you can.
Thanks
05-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Features which aren't important for M-type lenses: AF accuracy/speed, P-TTL flash, any mode except M or B, multi-segment metering, AF points, AF assist lamp, maybe multi-exposure or HDR.

SR is very useful, except maybe with M-type zooms. TTL flash is nice but none of the TTL-flash-capable models have SR, so it depends on which you'll use more.
The viewfinder is slightly better on pentaprism models, for easier focus. Dual control wheels might not be useful; it does not look like you can set one dial to shutter speed and another to ISO in M mode, at least on the K-7 (only one I checked).

ISO performance and noise still matter, so the newest cameras have something to offer there. The ideal camera is a K-5 with broken AF for $300.

I'd rule out the *ist DL, *ist DL2 or K110D - neither SR nor TTL flash. As mentioned, the K10D and K20D have some metering inaccuracies, but might be workable if they fit in the budget.
Wow thanks , noo flash needed!
05-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
All Pentax DSLRs can be used fully manually in M exposure mode. Just make sure that the option to allow use of an aperture ring is set to 'permitted' in the custom menu. You then set the aperture on the lens and the shutter speed on the camera to match your external light meter reading.

The most user friendly option is to set the camera up like that, and use the green button (where available, otherwise the Av+/- button) to meter and set exposure using the camera's meter.
Thnks

05-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thnks
Does k-5 have green button? Thanks
05-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Do these very insructive and qualified replies, just let me pretend to use a light meter? Thank you all. More info,no flash, no zooms. Can one preform like a k-1000? And if not what is the besr alternative.
Thank you all-Val
05-12-2011, 11:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote

Great info!
Thanks,
Val
05-12-2011, 11:46 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks
I like Just1MoreDave K-f with broken af for $300. It still doesent hurt me with my A lenses right ?
05-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Seems like what I want does not exist or I would not have to adjust meter to camera, thanks for all the creative next -bests , and please keep then coming.
I really apreciate all the thoughtful input.
Thank you all,
Val
05-13-2011, 08:43 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I don't understand what you mean when you say what you want doesn't exist. All the responses you've gotten so far are saying the opposite - actually, *all* DSLR's can do what you want. Simply set the Mode dial on M and you're set. The fact that people are also telling you that you no longer need the external light meter because the camera has one built in doesn't mean you can't continue to use your external meter if you really prefer.
05-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #15

Agreed!

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I don't understand what you mean when you say what you want doesn't exist. All the responses you've gotten so far are saying the opposite - actually, *all* DSLR's can do what you want. Simply set the Mode dial on M and you're set. The fact that people are also telling you that you no longer need the external light meter because the camera has one built in doesn't mean you can't continue to use your external meter if you really prefer.
Marc,
"You da' Man", I actually prefer to use my old Gossen Luna Pro, set my K10 on M....... shoot with any lens, anywhere, anytime and get my shot!