Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
shutter remote for Kx

I've got a quick question. Is there a wireless shutter remote that doesn't have to be used from directly in front of the camera? One that can trigger the shutter from the sides or from behind the camera? What can I use to trigger the shutter on my Kx if I don't want to be in the picture? All I can find are remotes that you have to be standing in front of to trigger. Thanks, Jim

05-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If the infrared receiver is in front of the camera, there's not much the remote control (transmitter) can do.

Have you experimented with a reflective surface (aluminum foil, mirror, ...) to reflect the IR light back to the receiver? I have a setup at home in which the infrared receiver of the speaker set is blocked by an LCD monitor. I don't want to move either the monitor or the speaker set. Instead I line the back of the monitor with aluminum foil stolen from the kitchen. The IR beam emitted from the remote control hits the wall behind the monitor, reflects back and hits the aluminum foil, and reflects again to reach the IR receiver. Works great.

There are relay/converter systems that convert from IR to RF, then at the receiving end, from RF back to IR. But I doubt they are portable.
05-04-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pclix.com/

A bit pricey ($150 + $22 cable) but it adds interval shooting to the K-x.