Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2011, 12:28 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most of the above posts seem to be focusing on screw-in filters, e.g. circular filters that screw into the front filter thread of a lens, but don't forget, there are also other types of filters, ones that are part of a filter system, e.g. Cokin or Lee filters. The filters themselves are square, and fit into filter holders that mount on an adapter screwed into the front of a lens. I use the Cokin filter system, and have found GND filters and to some extent, ND filters, pretty much essential when I'm shooting sunrise/sunsets.

05-14-2011, 03:31 AM   #17
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes there's a place for filters although many filter effects can be approximated in post processing. Personally I've just forked out 400 on Lee stuff and am eyeing a further 300 worth of actual filters. Top filters are expensive but once you've got them you'll never need them again.
05-14-2011, 06:18 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Yes there's a place for filters although many filter effects can be approximated in post processing. Personally I've just forked out 400 on Lee stuff and am eyeing a further 300 worth of actual filters. Top filters are expensive but once you've got them you'll never need them again.
Yep, filters have their place and always will. Many of us, myself included, always put a skylight or UV filter on our lenses from day one because that was the accepted practice. Usually it came from the sales staff that the filter was needed so we bought them. No, you don't need a permanent filter of some sort on the front of your lens unless you are always shooting in an environment where your lens needs some protection. Other filters such as CPL's, neutral density, and scores of other specialty filters will always have their uses. Yes, you probably can reproduce the effects in PP but it will be time consuming and I would much rather spend my time behind my camera than in front of a computer screen.