Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #1

SD card pictures corrupted on upload

I have treated myself to my first DSLR a Pentax KX. Love the camera big learning curve, but looking forward to learning.

On uploading the photos the pictures are cut in half or look like they have been split up.

The pictures are of a friends christening and I am keen to get them printed.

The pictures view fine in the cameras lcd screen.

I am very greatful for any help.

Regards,

Shane

05-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be various reasons -
First of all - to prevent any viruses from modifying you pictures, just write-protect the SD Card once you remove from the camera and before you insert it in your PC.

Moreover, please send more details about the platform/application software , the website and the procedure you are following to upload the pictures.
05-05-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I assume you are shooting jpg's. What are you viewing them with?
05-05-2011, 10:03 AM   #4

From my experience, it is the sign for the dying SD card. My 4GB OCZ SD card gave me the same symptom as yours, then died later. I replaced with a Sandisk Extreme III. No errors over 4 years.

05-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

What size memory card are you using?

How are you uploading, via USB cable or an SD card reader in your computer?

Please note that there is a difference between 2GB (and smaller) and 4GB (and larger) cards. The former are SD, the latter are SDHC (Secure Digital High Capacity). If you are using a PC card reader and your PC is more than a couple of years old, it may not be able to read SDHC cards. There IS an electrical difference, as well as a computer format difference.

I don't have any readers that won't handle SDHC cards, so I've never tried an SDHC card in an SD reader. Therefore I can't tell you exactly what will happen. But, it won't be good.

If you've been using a PC card reader, check the documentation or ask the manufacturer if yours can handle SDHC cards. In the meantime, try uploading using the USB cable that came with your camera. If you've misplaced it, they're standard and they're cheap.

If you have been using the USB cable, then forget everything I said....
05-05-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Oops. Duplicate
05-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This can also happen if you forget to format a new card, I've done it.
05-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The image that you see on the camera is a thumbnail that is embedded in the image file and not the image itself. I doubt that you can recover this type of errors (if they are stored like that on the memory card) but you'e probably able to extract the thumbnails to save the thumbnail; the quality will not be as good however.

I see two possible causes for your problem: camera misbehavior and bad SD card if the images are indeed stored incorrectly.

Once you've uploaded your pictures,I suggest that you thoroughly test your card with e.g.h2testw (if you're using windows). No first hand experience with it; be aware that it might be a destructive test meaning that the original contents of the card will be destroyed.
Draw your conclusions from there.

05-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #9

Original Poster
Hi all,

Thank you ever so much for your replies.

I can only find how to remove write protect for cards. Uploading on Windows viewer as I have always done, also tried with pentax suplied picture editor which came with my Kx. I have tried inserting card into card reader on laprtop, also from cable on camera plugged in to laptop.
The card is a 2 week old 32gb Sandisk SDHC. My laptop does state SD/MMC, but i went into Jessops and they tried it on their photo printer and the photos are corrupted, with big grey blocks. When i load them up they all appear fine then one by one they almost all corrupt.
I am shooting jpgs.
The card was formatted by a camera shop.
How would i extract the thumbnails ?

Regards and thanks,

Shane