Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2011, 08:19 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Shoot in manual mode. If you have studio strobes, great, if not, a hotshoe flash, preferably off-camera. Set the camera's shutter speed to properly expose the windows, let the flash expose the interior.

Here is a quick & dirty example I threw together, using just the built in flash and not bothering with white balance. On the left, no flash at 1/13 sec, the window is blown out. On the right, built-in flash at 1/180 sec, both window and interior have good exposure. Had I taken more time to do this, the result on the right would have been better, I just wanted to illustrate the procedure.

Last edited by MPrince; 03-17-2016 at 02:21 PM.
05-07-2011, 09:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

As mentioned earlier flash should be able to compensate for the lighting issues or would more dynamic range also help? For the windows won't a circular polarizer help out with that?
05-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #18
Unregistered User

wow thanks everybody... .

it is true I kind of jumped into this but the demand in this area is not being met. even the images I have taken are vastly improved over peoples one clicks.

I am going to try the flash Idea, I really appreciate all of your suggestions?

I have been doing this for a while and figured out white balance and barel distortion though the images I posted are from when I started and not corrected.

I will also have to try some true hdr shots.

What is op? lol

Jesse
05-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jesse Dumonceau Quote
I am going to try the flash Idea, I really appreciate all of your suggestions?

I will also have to try some true hdr shots.
You also need to get familiar with the Dodge control.

05-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #20
Unregistered User

What do you mean by the dodge control?
This I have not heard of. Well other than photoshop.

Thanks

Jesse
05-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #21
Pentaxian

What do you mean by the dodge control?
This I have not heard of. Well other than photoshop.

Thanks

Jesse
The dodge control allows you to boost mid-level intensity without boosting highlights. I think most raw processors have this, but may be called something different.
05-09-2011, 09:13 AM   #22
Unregistered User

So if I wanted to get a flash for my kx with a price range from 0-300 canadian dollars what would some of you suggest?

Thanks

Jesse
05-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #23
Pentaxian

So if I wanted to get a flash for my kx with a price range from 0-300 canadian dollars what would some of you suggest?

Thanks

Jesse
The new Sigma EF-610 Super has all the must-have features (wireless, P-TTL, tilt and bounce, wide angle diffuser) and has the highest power of any flash available.
EF-610 DG Super Flash - Flash - SigmaPhoto.com

05-09-2011, 10:05 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks

Jesse
My entire Cowboy Studios outfit was under $200USD...

http://cowboystudio.com/product/c07/p0702-15.php
06-03-2011, 07:38 PM   #25
Unregistered User

Hey Guys I tried the suggestion from the poster of the guitar images.
It worked well.

I let the camera expose for out side and then cranked the built in flash to brighten the room.

This isn't perfect but makes it much better and workable in post.

Here is a link to the original and the very sloppy polarize effect in aperture to bring it the rest of the way:

MobileMe Gallery

Any other suggestions are more than welcome.
06-03-2011, 10:28 PM   #26
Veteran Member

As MPrince suggested above - this is exactly what I do. I expose for the exterior (often this isn't necessary but sometimes you want to highlight how great (or not in the case below ! ) the view is from a particular room) and use manual flash to illuminate the interior. On dull days & with well lit rooms often you don't even need flash to achieve this (shot below).

Often that's not enough (as can be seen in the shot below - just picked at random from hundreds of shots that may be taken in a single day) but it's close enough to be able to then lighten the interior in PP if required (the shot below hasn't had any PP at all). Dodging is an easy way.
Attached Images

06-04-2011, 09:19 AM   #27

Photos: Gallery
Daylight Balanced Flash

QuoteOriginally posted by keithlester Quote
OP is asking for help in running before they can walk. Exposure balancing needs to be learned by doing, there is no simple fix as every situation is individual.

What you have to manipulate is the aperture versus shutterspeed to achieve a suitable out-door exposure, and the aperture versus flash power to achieve a suitable indoor exposure.

Of course, you also have to obtain even illumination from your flash equipment, which is an art in itself.

You may have to wait for the correct time of day to be able to achieve the balance you require.

May I suggest OP fully learns the individual skills before trying to combine the skills and apply them to this particularly demanding form of photography.

Something that may help OP is to study "Fill-in Flash", since the set of skills is broadly similar.

Nobody can give you the correct settings for the job, you have to meter, measure and learn the limitations of the equipment you have at your disposal.

hope this helps

K33F
I've done this sucessfully quite a lot in the past. When I went to Still Photo School at Ft. Monmouth, NJ (long ago) we were shooting w/4x5 Speed Graphics and flashbulbs! AUTO NADA! Anyhow this was actually a shooting assignment we had to master.
Basically, you've got to balance the indoor and outdoor lighting (using flash). This involves working manually and doing some exposure calculation. The real trick is to insure that the direction of light inside (flash) is coming from approx. the same angle and direction as the outside light (assuming a bright sunny day). It takes a little practice, but becomes rather simple.
It's almost the same technicque as using fill flash in an outdoor setting. Once learned, it's really not all that difficult and should eliminate most of post processing crapola you'd otherwise be forced to do.
That's how I'd do it ......... just my 2 cents worth.
07-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #28
Unregistered User

Thanks everybody!
09-02-2011, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #29
Unregistered User

Here are some recent photos.
I think things are getting better with more and more practice and advice.
I usually go to a house in the evening now to compensate for the brightness.

My Best,

Jesse
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo     
09-03-2011, 07:43 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Based on the few examples you posted here, things are going in the right direction. Now what you could use is a taller tripod and a wider lens. Also, use timed release. In the last photo I can see both you and another person reflecting in the window. Set it to 10 seconds and get out of view.

Play around a bit with your white balance. For real estate, people usually respond better to slightly warm photos. You know... "warm and inviting".