Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2011, 05:51 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is there a way to properly auto focus?

For landsapes I often would focus on infinity, then check my depth of field scale and move the focus ring until the edge of the depth of field scale was on infinity, meaning I had the largest possible depth of field, extending forward from infinity.

However none of my lenses even have a depth of field scale these days. It would seem that auto-focus never actually learned to shoot the way a lot of us shot.

There should be a way to tell teh camera to front focus, but keep infinity in focus given the DoF available, or if not then, it's obviously a case of auto focus not actually ever becoming as efficient as manual focus was.

05-07-2011, 06:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Last I used an AF for landscape, I took images, reviewed and adjusted them on location.
Took a few adjustments to get things right, but that's the only way I could work around it.

Thing of it is, I use a MF 35mm lens for landscape exclusively.
The above experience was due to not be fully prepared.
05-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can generally lock in the focus manually and use f8 - f11 for landscapes- just set it and forget it. The AF system will give you an approximation at best in many cases
05-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The old DOF methods of focusing on landscapes kind of sort of worked OK given that most people never blew up their images very big, but for digital, you'll quickly realize that just because a DOF calculator says a part of the picture should be in focus, that doesn't mean it will really be maximally sharp at 100%. So we tend to want to be more precise about out focusing - finding a specific items in the landscape to focus on. From previous experience, you would know that if you choose an object too close to you, the background won't be perfectly in focus, and if you choose an object too distant, the foreground won't be perfectly in focus. So you're free to make the call for yourself as to where you want sharpest focus to be and how soft you're willing to allow other parts of the picture to be, and you get to use the LCD to tell you how you're doing. Far more accurate than relying on generic DOF guesstimates.