Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone have color issues with K10D??

Here is my edit version of the photo
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5303/5666929378_dc987c5e43.jpg

Here is photo taken with K10D default
As you can see the white trim is not as white but more green on this shed.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5021/5666942264_f7ed68a1f0.jpg

Am I doing something wrong?
Far as I know everything set at automatic even the White Balance.

05-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
Forum Member

u should use manuel wb settings, u can find a kelvin value which suits the daylight (probably 5200-5600).
05-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You're dealing with mixed lighting - part lit by the yellow sun, part lit by the blue sky, and part of the latter also lit by reflected light from the green grass. There is no single WB setting that is going to render true local colors in each of those areas. Set to AWB, the camera does it best to make a call as to which of those color casts you want to live with. This is true with all cameras (well, with film, it's your choice of film that determines the WB). If you find you don't like the results you get by default in a given mixed light setting, that's what other WB settings and/or PP are for. In your case here, it appears you've chosen to render the light on the white unnaturally warmly - it's lit only by blue and green light, so no way should it be looking orange - but I agree it's nevertheless pleasing despite not really being believable.
05-07-2011, 01:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deathdream Quote
u should use manuel wb settings, u can find a kelvin value which suits the daylight (probably 5200-5600).

Yea the thing is it don't do this all the time, I guess it's when the shadows are just right or something. but I keep that in mind I'll try that.

05-07-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
You're dealing with mixed lighting - part lit by the yellow sun, part lit by the blue sky, and part of the latter also lit by reflected light from the green grass. There is no single WB setting that is going to render true local colors in each of those areas. Set to AWB, the camera does it best to make a call as to which of those color casts you want to live with. This is true with all cameras (well, with film, it's your choice of film that determines the WB). If you find you don't like the results you get by default in a given mixed light setting, that's what other WB settings and/or PP are for. In your case here, it appears you've chosen to render the light on the white unnaturally warmly - it's lit only by blue and green light, so no way should it be looking orange - but I agree it's nevertheless pleasing despite not really being believable.
So you saying Manual best judgment I can do?
I kinda figured Cameras seem to pick what you like on auto settings but sometimes don't get it right, I am not much of a pro I sill learning, I used K110D and the auto settings work all different if not better then K10D
05-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I really can't see much in the tiny photos you posted except for this. Unless the white door on your shed actually has a yellow tint to it, the out of camera shot looks better.

For the most part, I always thought the AWB on the K10d kind of sucked, especially indoors. In fact, I fully expected to see indoor shots when I first opened your post. I would suggest setting your WB to daylight unless conditions dictate otherwise. I always went RAW though and did the corrections in post processing. The K5 seems to miss it once in awhile too, especially in mixed lighting. Also, don't overlook calibrating your monitor if you haven't already done so.

05-07-2011, 04:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jeff!

Here is a bigger photo taken with the K10D
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5021/5666942264_f7ed68a1f0_b.jpg

I not sure if it's my eyes or what but looks more green then it should be??
05-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlover22 Quote
Thanks Jeff!

Here is a bigger photo taken with the K10D
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5021/5666942264_f7ed68a1f0_b.jpg

It's a little green, but look at the image itself. The image is a little green.
AWB can only work perfectly when it has a completely average scene to look at.
When I worked with automatic printers, the sort of scene you are showing was what we called a colour failure.
It's bound to happen from time to time, but take heart, newer cameras are getting better at setting white balance themselves.

05-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, I found many helpful here, I think it had some problems with AWB but not all the time as said here, it was getting frustrating as sometimes I don't have time for manual shots, really for those quick shots.
05-07-2011, 06:10 PM   #10
Inactive Account

There's a lot of natural green in the photo to begin with so it's a little hard for me to judge. I look for something white in the scene and try to judge how it looks with respect to color, on my screen, and go from there. Even though it's shaded, the white doors look pretty fair to me in this shot.

05-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxlover22 Quote
All that green is a reflection off the green grass. With most processing software (like the Pentax program that came with your camera) you can pick a point that should be white, gray or black. In your example, if you select either door or the concrete pad in front of it, the green cast disappears from those areas. But the grass and tree leaves also look less green, because the cast came from the grass and trees. The software changes the color in the entire scene.

Another camera might pick a different white balance for the same scene, but every white balance for this scene will be a compromise. When you process this on the computer, you have to choose where the color is most important. If there was a person in the scene, for example, you might choose their skin to be the proper color. Here, the garage door draws your eye because it's centered and has an unusual tint.

Your eyes and brain do their own auto white balance, so you don't see the tints until you look at the photos. You can train yourself to not white-balance and see the tints before taking a photo, then decide how to get the best image.
05-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #12

tengo una camara pentax optio ls 1100 y hace unos dias las imagenes me salen amarillas tanto en la pantalla de captura como al tirar la foto alguin sabe como solucionar esto
05-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Look up "white balance" in the camera manual, or via Google.