Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

AF/MF switch

HI,
I was gifted a Pentax K10D, by a good friend who told me there was a problem with the Auto focus. When I switch the MF/AF switch to AF, the camera still says MF in view screen. I do not want to think I have to send it in to get repaired, as I can not really afford that, and I wanted to know is there some sort of repair I could do on my own. I still can take pictures in MF, but I would really like to have auto-focus with my camera.

Thanx

05-08-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check the following 5 things:
-is the lens an SDM lens? If so, make sure you have firmware 1.30 isntalled
-is the AF/MF switch on the lens (if any) set to AF?
-is the lens properly mounted?
-does the problem occur with more than 1 lens?
-have you cleaned the lens contacts?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-08-2011, 05:37 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Of course the most obvious question is, Is the lens an Auto focus lens? Or is it a Manual focus lens?

If the lens is an SDM and has the screw drive as well (16-50 and 50-135) it should auto focus even without a firmware update and in fact, you may want to leave it that way to keep SDM disabled.

05-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
I have 2 lenses SMC-DA 18-55 and a SMC-DA 50-200
Firmware is 1.3
Lens is properly mounted, I have used the camera for a couple of years
AF/MF switch is on the camera.
I have the same problem on both lenses

05-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Take the lens off of the camera and while moving the AF/MF switch watch the screw drive on the lens mount. In MF it should retract and on AF it should extend. There should be some switch like resistance to moving the lever as well. In other words, it should not just slip from one to the other. I'll assume that you are getting Manual focus in both AF-C and AF-S?

Then, once you've verified that the screw drive is extending/retracting as it should, take a swab with some alcohol and wipe the contacts on the lens and body lens mount. I can't think of one time this has actually worked but it's worth a try. Also, make sure that all of the little contacts on the lens and mount actually protrude a little bit. You should be able to wipe your finger across them in a braille fashion and feel them.

That's about the extent of my help here other than telling you you may have a manual focus camera. To me that wouldn't be a bad thing especially for the price but my tastes don't suit everyone. Fixing it would probably cost more than another camera.

05-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #6

Original Poster
Theswitch does just slip to AF.S to AF.C to MF with little or no resistance. The screw drive doesn't extend when I switch out of manual focus. I guess you're right I have a manual focus camera, but would a lens an auto focus motor in the lens body help at all.
05-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Maybe, and only if it is SDM (Pentax) or HSM (Sigma). Now you're talking some $$$$ but if you want to go that way (and there's no guarantee they will work on that particular camera) it is an option. The good news is if you decide to stick with Pentax, those lenses will work on Any Pentax Digital SLR.

If you want to contact Pentax service, they may give you some idea of the repair cost. If you feel brave and want to try and tackle it yourself,

Downloads

05-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for the info.
Like your flickr photos BTW.
These are some of the pictures I have taken with my Pentax
Flickr: BiloxiSean's Photostream

05-09-2011, 06:25 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Thank you.

Yours are pretty sweet as well. What are you using for the processing?

05-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by biloxisean Quote
Thank you for the info.
Like your flickr photos BTW.
These are some of the pictures I have taken with my Pentax
Flickr: BiloxiSean's Photostream
Sorry to hear about your camera troubles. Noticed that you are new to the forum and I wanted to wish you a belated "welcome". I grew up just a bit north of you up Hwy. 49 in Hattiesburg. USM - class of '70
05-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #11

Original Poster
Photoshop and photomatix (a little too much photomatix).

I grew up in PA, but now live on the Gulf Coast.
05-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You should have seen the Gulf Coast after Hurricane Camille. I was in college then.