Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Vivitar Lenses

I can see used Vivitar being sold and people suggesting some of them as good. I am thinking if they are decent enough for the price - how are the new primes and zooms from Vivitar for trying with K-r if it is well worth the money?

Pls advice!

05-08-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's one I can recommend: Vivitar 85mm f/1.4 Series 1 Manual Focus Lens for Pentax 85MMP

We should have a full-length review of it up soon, but it's definitely worth the money!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar has never made a single lens by themselfes. They outsource the production, usually the design as well, nowadays often just buying the right to put their name on someone elses lens (like the new 85mm). In the past (read the originally Series 1 lenses and some more) they had some stunning lenses, built by some of the best 3rd party lens manufacturers, some with very inovative design. Today I'm not very impressed. Is there any specific lens you are thinking about?
05-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Is there any specific lens you are thinking about?
well i have nothing specific in mind, exploring various possibilities to expand my collection w/o compromising quality while on a very small budget. currently i only hv a 35mm f 2.4. Having said tat do i need any specific adapter to make vivi wrk in my K-r?

05-09-2011, 05:51 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sany Quote
well i have nothing specific in mind, exploring various possibilities to expand my collection w/o compromising quality while on a very small budget. currently i only hv a 35mm f 2.4. Having said tat do i need any specific adapter to make vivi wrk in my K-r?
No adapter needed, generally, as long as you buy one that's made for Pentax. Third party companies make lenses in different mounts for the different camera brands, you just need to get the right one.

(An exception might be if they've put their name on a mirror lens or other very long telephoto: often such lenses have a T-mount, which is a simple adapter system. (Such lenses will usually be packaged with an adapter for one camera brand,) and you can interchange this with other types of adapters which are quite inexpensive: these types of lenses don't need aperture couplings or anything like that, so it's just a matter of holding the lens on there. )

As for compromising on quality, Vivitar doesn't have the reputation it used to, (Won't expect them equal Pentax lenses,) but that 85mm seems to meet with Adam's approval, which counts for a lot.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-09-2011 at 06:06 AM.
05-09-2011, 06:19 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
No adapter needed, generally, as long as you buy one that's made for Pentax. Third party companies make lenses in different mounts for the different camera brands, you just need to get the right one.

(An exception might be if they've put their name on a mirror lens or other very long telephoto: often such lenses have a T-mount, which is a simple adapter system. (Such lenses will usually be packaged with an adapter for one camera brand,) and you can interchange this with other types of adapters which are quite inexpensive: these types of lenses don't need aperture couplings or anything like that, so it's just a matter of holding the lens on there. )

As for compromising on quality, Vivitar doesn't have the reputation it used to, (Won't expect them equal Pentax lenses,) but that 85mm seems to meet with Adam's approval, which counts for a lot.
That depends on the lens. Yes, some will be T mount, some will be M42, and still others may be TX mount. IIRC, there is also something called a T4 mount that looks like a regular T mount, but isn't. The TX mount works like the Tamron adaptal mounts (for all intents and purposes) and can be had in the M42 or K mount variety, the K mount being the more rare of the two.

The 85mm is a nice lens but as mentioned, not made by Vivitar. For some reason known only to them, the Vivitar branded one is more expensive than the others by $60-$70 in some cases as well.

Sany, what I would suggest you do is first define which direction you want to go. Wider than 35mm or more telephoto. If you're looking for a decent catch all everyday lens, you already have it. If there's something you've wanted to do but are unable to, fill that need first.

05-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I own several Vivitar Lenses and 2 I can highly recommend for both Value and Image Quality is the Vivitar 135 2.8 Close Focusing (really a Macro 1:2) and the 75-205 3.8 Macro Zoom (which is really a Close Focusing lens).

I have the K mount single touch version of the zoom and m42 (screw mount) version of the 135. So yes, in some instances an m42 to K mount adapter will be needed. These are both manual lenses
05-09-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
JeffJs, as rightly mentioned by you, I hv 35mm now and want a zoom from 70mm-200mm or 80mm-200. Budget is too little a max of probably 200+ dollars. Since I am a beginner as mentioned in most of my posts - think some elements like Av features would help me get started. Once I get some confidence, probably i will get in some old manual lenses.
Now i am also exploring tamron adaptall 2s and M42s Takumar? which is superior?

I am also researching in the lens database and reviews here.

Last edited by sany; 05-09-2011 at 08:11 AM.
05-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

i only hv a 35mm f 2.4.
You don't have a 18-55mm kit lens?

I would consider getting a 'normal' zoom lens (either the kit or the tamron 17-50mm f2.8 which is significantly better) as well as a tele-zoom... 55-300mm gets a good rep here... I have the 50-200WR and get great images from it...

Also... a FA50 f1.4 (a used copy picked up on this sites marketplace will be well worth the price paid) is a great addition to any collection...

The 35mm you have is on my 'to do' list but will have to wait til autumn...

Last edited by DaveHolmes; 05-09-2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: missed a bit
05-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #10
Inactive Account

A lens I use to have that offers a LOT of bang for the buck in your price range was the Tamron LD Di 70-300 1:2. You can probably find one used for around $125 or so.

Show Tamron - a set on Flickr

It has its downside (as all lenses will) but it isn't something that is insurmountable.

Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD MACRO 1:2 Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database