Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
cracked sensor?

I'm pretty sure I have a cracked sensor. I have k-x and I had a photography lesson today so I took my camera to work with me in order to have it for the lesson after work. Not thinking, I left the camera in the car and the temp outside got up to 85 F and the inside of the car probably much warmer. Anyhow, I went to my lesson and put on my 50-135 lens - it took one picture and when I tried the second, the shutter stayed open for about 4 seconds and then finally closed. No image appeared on the memory card. I switched lenses, same thing, deleted all images on the memory card, no luck. Reset custom functions, same thing. With the mirror up, I see 3 horizontal lines in the sensor that I'm pretty sure shouldn't be there.

So - can heat crack a sensor? Or perhaps it cracked when the sensor opened and hit cooler air?

Does anyone know what it costs to replace one? Warranty is no longer current.

I'm guessing it probably costs more to fix than buy a new one.

Thanks

05-09-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Can you post some pics? Might be possible though 85F is pretty normal in this part of the world and haven't heard any such thing,
05-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #3

Original Poster
Sorry but I can't even get a photo to image.
05-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Set your camera for sensor cleaning and take a picture of the sensor with a different camera. Sounds like you are seeing the shutter blades.

05-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Set your camera for sensor cleaning and take a picture of the sensor with a different camera. Sounds like you are seeing the shutter blades.
This. Your problem is entirely mechanical, the mirror goes up and then it "sticks". I guess it's easy to service.
05-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #6

85f shouldn't be a problem for the K-x. I used to live in Vegas and I've exposed my K-x to higher temps than that and it's never had a problem. Hopefully it's just a minor serviceable issue (like something is stuck).

Edit: Also, I don't think the sensor would crack at high temps. 1) I don't think it's made heavily out of glass and would likely warp instead (like plastic) 2) If it's more like glass, it'd probably require rapid temp. change for it to crack (like 120f -> 40f very quickly).
05-10-2011, 05:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have left an older camera [k2000] in my car plenty of times with the temp outside in the 90's. Not had a problem. I think the operating temperature for most of these cameras is over 100 degrees.
05-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the ideas - when the mirror goes up, don't you see the sensor directly when you don't have a lens on? or does the sensor have blades as well? Without a lens and the mirror up I see the horizontal lines.

05-10-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You're looking at the AA filter over the sensor, and that's a rigid material, so I guess it could crack. That being said, I don't know if you can replace just that part or not.

I keep my camera in the car all the time and have never had a problem with any of them. Still, I suppose it can happen.
05-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by olivemike Quote
Thanks for all the ideas - when the mirror goes up, don't you see the sensor directly when you don't have a lens on? or does the sensor have blades as well? Without a lens and the mirror up I see the horizontal lines.
There is a shutter behind the mirror, in front of the sensor. If you want to see the sensor you have to set the camera for sensor cleaning. It is in the menu. Check manual for the setting. Do not take an exposure without a lens to see the sensor, you will get dust on the sensor. The sensor is a dust magnet when powered up.
05-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Even if the sensor were cracked, I rather doubt that would cause the symptoms described - those sound entirely mechanical.
05-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #12

Original Poster
so I'm now guessing either the shutter blades aren't opening at all (hence no image to review) or the mirror is sticking. How can I check to see if the shutter blades are opening if you shouldn't do that with no lens?
05-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by olivemike Quote
so I'm now guessing either the shutter blades aren't opening at all (hence no image to review) or the mirror is sticking. How can I check to see if the shutter blades are opening if you shouldn't do that with no lens?
As the others already suggested: set your camera to sensor cleaning mode and press the shutter release button. The mirror swings up and the shutter opens. You then will see the sensor, which looks very different from the shutter. And you son't need a lens to fire the camera, if you have set it beforehand to allowing the use of the aperture ring.

Ben
05-10-2011, 03:11 PM   #14

Original Poster
Ok, so i have confirmed that the sensor shutter is not opening and that the sensor probably is in tact. Thanks for everyone's help. I welcome any suggestions on how to get the sensor shutter to open.
05-10-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
Pentaxian

My only thoughts would be to remove and replace the batteries, reset everything, and maybe try different shutter setting. Maybe giving the camera a few taps on something hard wouldn't hurt either, but it probably wouldn't help, either. Basically if it got stuck once I'd be afraid it would stick again and not trust it, unless I could explain how it happened in the first place.

Paul