Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #1

Vendor question

Having been away from SLR photography for a while, I am reacquainting myself with the Who's who of Pentax vendors. I am familiar with B&H, J&R and a few others but a friend mentioned a vendor by the name of Big Value Inc. who apparently has very good deals and is an Amazon vendor as well. I have never heard of them. Have any of you had any experience with them?

All of the camera stores in my area no longer carry Pentax and indicate that Pentax is going out of business any day now. Obviously I will not be giving them my business.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Doug

05-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SEWIS Quote
All of the camera stores in my area no longer carry Pentax and indicate that Pentax is going out of business any day now. Obviously I will not be giving them my business.
Sounds like they themselves might be going out of business

Another vendor to keep in mind is Adorama- see my signature for details. Doesn't look like big value carries any pentax gear as far as I can see.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentax is going out of business everybody sell your equipment now before they become paperweights.

But seriously e rumors that Pentax is going out of business has been in the rumor mill for a long long time. And with the recent excellent reviews on the kx k5 kr. I think pentax needs to work on the brand image now. There are a lot of un informed business out there. I'm not sure if it is uninformed or just plain stupidity. I think they only say that because they dont carry pentax and don't want to say to the customer we don't carry that. It is easier to sell you a nikon or canon equivalent by saying pentax is going out of business then trying to sway you from pentax to canon. Not sure where you live because I'm in the mobile forum. But I would say online is your best bet.

Brick and mortar stores for pentax are far and far luckily in my area out of two local shops one does carry them pentax and nikon dealer. For big chains both carry them but special order.
05-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Hi all, first post from a Wannabee...I am trying to buy a Pentax on the Forum Marketplace BECAUSE of Pentax's poor marketing...I give up on it.

I live in New Orleans, a major metropolitan area of 2 million people +/- , with ZERO Pentax dealers, save Bennett's who carry only the little point and shoots.

My major complaint about Pentax marketing however, is this, it seems that any scam operation who wants to sell them can and do.

eBay stopped one purchase I tried to make, thankfully, and I aborted another from a store listed on a reputable camera review site (no email conformation; telephoned from an untraceable number with a bait and switch that added $100 to the K-r kit).

Pentax must stop allowing just anyone to sell their products. Most prospective buyers like myself would already be at local retail store, buying a Nikon or Cannon, after what I've been through trying to buy a Pentax.

I hope Pentax is worth the trouble I've experienced in purchasing one of their products.

05-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by t-bone Quote

My major complaint about Pentax marketing however, is this, it seems that any scam operation who wants to sell them can and do.

To be fair, if you look hard enough at the scam operator's websites, you will find all the camera manufacturers listed, not just Pentax, and what you say about Pentax in this instance applies equally to all of the manufacturers.
There is, unfortunately, a certain amount of buyer beware involved in any purchase transaction. Pentax is, at the moment, in the unfortunate position of having little exposure in brick and mortar stores, which is something shared with several other camera manufacturers.
When was the last time you walked into a camera shop and were able to handle a Leica or Hasselblad?
It's the peril of the smaller manufacturer.
05-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
When was the last time you walked into a camera shop and were able to handle a Leica or Hasselblad?
It's the peril of the smaller manufacturer.
In North America, new Leicas and Hassy's can probably be fondled (under close supervision) in shops in New York and Los Angeles /Hollyweird and Miami and Mexico City; maybe in Chicago and San Francisco; I don't know about Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver. In Western USA I must likely journey to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, just to touch a new PENTAX camera!

ObTopic: Scams abound. What sounds fantastic, likely is. Some fantasies are just April Fools tricks, like 42nd Street Photo's disappearing one-buck Voigtlander lenses. Some are toxic, like bait-and-switch crooks. So, do some research. Read user reviews -- if a vendor sucks, vivid tales are told! Try gargling for ABES OF MAINE SUCKS and see what pops up.
05-14-2011, 05:09 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The big three for new Pentax gear are (alphabetically) Adorama, Amazon and B&H. There are others in a second tier: Abes of Maine, Beach Camera, ProDigital2000, and of course, the innumerable sellers on eek bay.

Second hand gear can be found at Adorama and KEH. B&H has some second hand gear but not a lot, and of course again eek bay. One of the nice features of both Adorama and KEH is that they have no-questions-asked return policies on most used equipment ( the U (ugly) grade at KEH and the X grade at Adorama aren't returnable) Return deadline for KEH is 14 days, Adorama's I think is 10days but you can call to ask.

NaCl(hope that helps)H2O
05-18-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
.......One of the nice features of both Adorama and KEH is that they have no-questions-asked return policies on most used equipment ( the U (ugly) grade at KEH and the X grade at Adorama aren't returnable) Return deadline for KEH is 14 days, Adorama's I think is 10days but you can call to ask.
All used items from Adorama come with a 90-day warranty, which includes a 30-day returns period.
In addition we have 2 Ebay stores which sell items under the same terms.

If you ever need any advice or after-sales with any order from Adorama, I'm only ever an email away: Helen@adorama.com

05-18-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax has been around since before I was born and it does not appear to be closing anytime soon. Most of thier marketing does seem to be in Japan/Phillipines/etc.... and not in the US.

I've never believed the hype the big-block stores that sell Canon/Nikon say about Pentax. They're just trying to get you to buy into those systems.