Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #1

new DA L vs used DA?

Okay. So the time to purchase my white K-r is getting closer and closer(so excited!). SRS are offering the double kit(18-55 DAL & 50-200 DAL) for 500. The single lens kit is 429.

Looking on the Used Equipment section of their website, I see a DA 50-200 in "excellent++"(minor signs of use) condition for 79.99. It comes with Hood, Front and Rear caps.

Now, for a complete and utter (teen-aged) beginner, would it be better for me to go with the new double DAL kit or buy the single lens kit and pay 80 on top of it to get the used DA?

Thanks in advance!

05-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
If I understand correctly the net different to you is 9 more with the used DA 50-200. I would get the used DA 50-200. The photos will be the same, but you'll get a hood and the nicer version of the lens. Also, you will never be able to sell the DA-L 50-200 but the DA 50-200 will always be worth $80.
05-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter

If it is as "excellent" condition as the seller claims it to be, for an extra 9 I would get the DA version. Optically they are identical. In addition to having a hood, as mentioned, with the DA you get a metal mount and quick-shift, which will allow you to manually focus/refocus in AF mode.
05-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Hello there! Just be sure that the excellent++ DA is really a DA and not a DA L version...

05-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

For the price difference get the da not the twin lens kit. However as mention just make sure it is in excellent condition and that it is a da not a da-l lot of ads mislabel them thinking they are the same.
05-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Penumbra Quote
<snip> excellent++ DA is really a DA and not a DA L version...
The OP started out by saying that the used DA "comes with a hood, front and rear caps".
I think the DA-L version doesn't come with a hood, so ......
05-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I ordered a used 18-55 II, which specifically stated II in the ad, and wound up with the original version, so you can never tell. I kept it because I would have had to pay shipping both ways to return it and it seems to be a pretty good lens, and at least the seller did give a $10 refund for keeping the older version.

Paul
05-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
The OP started out by saying that the used DA "comes with a hood, front and rear caps".
I think the DA-L version doesn't come with a hood, so ......
It's easy and cheap to get a Chinese hood copy on Ebay. A photo of it showing the metal mount would prove it's a DA. So long as they send the item in the photo...

Personally I'd think about getting the 55-300mm DA - when I got mine I found it at a very good price from a trust-worthy UK retailer.

05-12-2011, 03:52 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
Personally I'd think about getting the 55-300mm DA - when I got mine I found it at a very good price from a trust-worthy UK retailer.
I'll second this suggestion. Or a DA L version is cheaper again (but with the plastic mount and no hood).
05-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I'll second this suggestion (55-300mm). Or a DA L version is cheaper again (but with the plastic mount and no hood).
When I got my 55-300mm the difference between the DA L (liberated from twin lens kits) and the DA wasn't much more than an Ebay lens hood - however I've just checked and at present that supplier doesn't list either version.

Look around the websites, you probably want to buy from a reputable UK supplier to avoid problems with grey imports.
05-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
fey

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses :)

SRS Microsystems is a Pentax Pro Centre(listed on Pentax's website as such here) within a one hour radius from me, so they're reputable. They're also the cheapest, have a two year Pentax warranty, plus they stock a twin white kit.

They don't sell the DA 55-300, and other stores sell this for upwards of 250. New DAL costs 170 from Amazon, no signs of any used DA or DAL 55-300.

I'll be getting my dad to drive me to the store to buy(in person-- he's uncomfortable with such large purchases online with good reason) so I guess I'd be able to check when the time comes.

If the DA 50-200 is a DA, then you all say I should go for it?

(on a side note... how do I convince my parents that 500 isn't completely too bad for a DSLR? ;) )
05-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fey Quote
Thanks for all the responses

(on a side note... how do I convince my parents that 500 isn't completely too bad for a DSLR? )
show them the price of a k5 w/ 18-135 kit lol
05-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fey Quote
I'll be getting my dad to drive me to the store to buy(in person-- he's uncomfortable with such large purchases online with good reason)
I've brought quite a few large expensive items online and have never had a problem - but I have brought them all from UK firms that have 'high street' stores as well. My 55-300mm, the 70-300mm when I had an E510, an Eizo screen, an A3 printer, a Denon cassette deck (quite a few years ago), a Canon Powershot (even more years ago) and more. Think it's a matter of engaging brain before pressing 'buy'. Is it a genuine UK firm with a UK address and phone number? Do they have a real shop in the UK? And so on.

There was a problem with the Eizo - with my credit card. They emailed me straight away, I rung them, spoke to a nice man, sorted it out and my screen turned up the next day and is fantastic. As it happened I noticed some mobile phone top-ups on my next statement which were fraud, and suspect it was something to do with that that triggered the problem buying the Eizo.