Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #1

new DA L vs used DA?

Okay. So the time to purchase my white K-r is getting closer and closer(so excited!). SRS are offering the double kit(18-55 DAL & 50-200 DAL) for £500. The single lens kit is £429.

Looking on the Used Equipment section of their website, I see a DA 50-200 in "excellent++"(minor signs of use) condition for £79.99. It comes with Hood, Front and Rear caps.

Now, for a complete and utter (teen-aged) beginner, would it be better for me to go with the new double DAL kit or buy the single lens kit and pay £80 on top of it to get the used DA?

Thanks in advance!

05-11-2011, 10:24 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
If I understand correctly the net different to you is £9 more with the used DA 50-200. I would get the used DA 50-200. The photos will be the same, but you'll get a hood and the nicer version of the lens. Also, you will never be able to sell the DA-L 50-200 but the DA 50-200 will always be worth $80.
05-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If it is as "excellent" condition as the seller claims it to be, for an extra £9 I would get the DA version. Optically they are identical. In addition to having a hood, as mentioned, with the DA you get a metal mount and quick-shift, which will allow you to manually focus/refocus in AF mode.
05-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Hello there! Just be sure that the excellent++ DA is really a DA and not a DA L version...

05-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

For the price difference get the da not the twin lens kit. However as mention just make sure it is in excellent condition and that it is a da not a da-l lot of ads mislabel them thinking they are the same.
05-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Penumbra Quote
<snip> excellent++ DA is really a DA and not a DA L version...
The OP started out by saying that the used DA "comes with a hood, front and rear caps".
I think the DA-L version doesn't come with a hood, so ......
05-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I ordered a used 18-55 II, which specifically stated II in the ad, and wound up with the original version, so you can never tell. I kept it because I would have had to pay shipping both ways to return it and it seems to be a pretty good lens, and at least the seller did give a $10 refund for keeping the older version.

Paul

05-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
The OP started out by saying that the used DA "comes with a hood, front and rear caps".
I think the DA-L version doesn't come with a hood, so ......
It's easy and cheap to get a Chinese hood copy on Ebay. A photo of it showing the metal mount would prove it's a DA. So long as they send the item in the photo...

Personally I'd think about getting the 55-300mm DA - when I got mine I found it at a very good price from a trust-worthy UK retailer.
05-12-2011, 03:52 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by cats_five Quote
Personally I'd think about getting the 55-300mm DA - when I got mine I found it at a very good price from a trust-worthy UK retailer.
I'll second this suggestion. Or a DA L version is cheaper again (but with the plastic mount and no hood).
05-12-2011, 08:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
I'll second this suggestion (55-300mm). Or a DA L version is cheaper again (but with the plastic mount and no hood).
When I got my 55-300mm the difference between the DA L (liberated from twin lens kits) and the DA wasn't much more than an Ebay lens hood - however I've just checked and at present that supplier doesn't list either version.

Look around the websites, you probably want to buy from a reputable UK supplier to avoid problems with grey imports.
05-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #11
fey

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses :)

SRS Microsystems is a Pentax Pro Centre(listed on Pentax's website as such here) within a one hour radius from me, so they're reputable. They're also the cheapest, have a two year Pentax warranty, plus they stock a twin white kit.

They don't sell the DA 55-300, and other stores sell this for upwards of £250. New DAL costs £170 from Amazon, no signs of any used DA or DAL 55-300.

I'll be getting my dad to drive me to the store to buy(in person-- he's uncomfortable with such large purchases online with good reason) so I guess I'd be able to check when the time comes.

If the DA 50-200 is a DA, then you all say I should go for it?

(on a side note... how do I convince my parents that £500 isn't completely too bad for a DSLR? ;) )
05-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fey Quote
Thanks for all the responses

(on a side note... how do I convince my parents that £500 isn't completely too bad for a DSLR? )
show them the price of a k5 w/ 18-135 kit lol
05-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fey Quote
I'll be getting my dad to drive me to the store to buy(in person-- he's uncomfortable with such large purchases online with good reason)
I've brought quite a few large expensive items online and have never had a problem - but I have brought them all from UK firms that have 'high street' stores as well. My 55-300mm, the 70-300mm when I had an E510, an Eizo screen, an A3 printer, a Denon cassette deck (quite a few years ago), a Canon Powershot (even more years ago) and more. Think it's a matter of engaging brain before pressing 'buy'. Is it a genuine UK firm with a UK address and phone number? Do they have a real shop in the UK? And so on.

There was a problem with the Eizo - with my credit card. They emailed me straight away, I rung them, spoke to a nice man, sorted it out and my screen turned up the next day and is fantastic. As it happened I noticed some mobile phone top-ups on my next statement which were fraud, and suspect it was something to do with that that triggered the problem buying the Eizo.