Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #1

Lens Question

Hi all, I am new here and am going to be buying the Pentax K-r. The lens I will be buying to go with this is the smc Pentax-D FA macro 100mm f2.8. I have read a bit about this lens and it sounds like it is pretty sweet. My question is, will it suit for general type photography, not just macro. My main area of interest is in close up/macro but i also like to take other photos as i see something that takes my interest, i also have my kids and the pets for hours of fun. Again will this lens be ok for photos of this sort? Any advice from anyone who has this lens or has experience with it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jason

05-11-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it easily double's as a telephoto. You'll definitely enjoy it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The DFA 100 triples as a macro lens, a portrait lens, and a very sharp landscape lens. I've used it for all three and it's always delivered. The main drawback is that it's got a long throw to focus. This makes is a little difficult to use for non-macro stuff but you get used to it. The fact that it's f2.8 makes it fast too.

What you do have to remember is that with a prime lens (fixed focal length) your feet do the zooming. Enjoy.
05-12-2011, 03:47 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
<snip> What you do have to remember is that with a prime lens (fixed focal length) your feet do the zooming. Enjoy.
You also might want to bear in mind that the "normal" focal length for our APS C digital cameras is around 28 - 31 mm. At 100mm you'll have tunnel vision, albeit a very sharp and quality view.

05-12-2011, 03:59 AM   #5
1,000,000th Poster!

I don't know if you will also have the kit lens, but in my opinion it's too long for any interior shots in the home.
A meter away you will only be able to frame the face tightly.

I have the FA 100 Macro and because it's my only fast telephoto lens I use it for general purposes, but it's too long for indoors other than close-cropped portrait.

It's a great lens, but it might frustrate you if you wish to go wider, I suggest you also get the kit lens, or if you wish to stay with primes only, the DA 35mm f2.4 AL.

It will give you much more flexibility if you have a second option with your D FA macro 100mm f2.8.
05-12-2011, 04:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for the answers, I will be getting it with a kit 18-55mm lens as a package. My next biggest decision is where to buy from. I can get it local in Aus for between 800-900 au dollars. Or import from o/s for anywhere between 550-700 au dollars. It will just depend on how the warranty works. Once again thank you for the answers and advice.

Cheers

Jason
05-12-2011, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Flickeroo Quote
I don't know if you will also have the kit lens, but in my opinion it's too long for any interior shots in the home.
A meter away you will only be able to frame the face tightly.

I have the FA 100 Macro and because it's my only fast telephoto lens I use it for general purposes, but it's too long for indoors other than close-cropped portrait.

It's a great lens, but it might frustrate you if you wish to go wider, I suggest you also get the kit lens, or if you wish to stay with primes only, the DA 35mm f2.4 AL.

It will give you much more flexibility if you have a second option with your D FA macro 100mm f2.8.
I completely agree with Flickeroo on this lens. The 100mm is going to only give you head shots indoors at home. Even a 50mm prime is almost too long to use indoors. To get a full body shot with a 100mm, you would probably need to stand 20+ feet away. I would predict that if you do get the Kit Lens 18-55, you will be using that lens for most of your candid/family/people shots, it's simply a more flexible lens to use and allows you to be in tight quarters.

My favorite walk around lens is also the 35mm, it's mildly telephoto indoors and plenty wide for general outdoor use.

05-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you're used to P&S cameras and are having trouble what a 100mm lens might mean, imagine a P&S with 5X zoom, locked permanently at the maximum zoom setting.
05-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #9

That lens will be great for live concert photography. Not really idea for everyday use. I'd recommend a 50mm 1.4 instead
05-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #10

It's a great lens, and suitable for what you want, But so heavy to carry around all day.