Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #1

buying a new camera, but using my old lens from my MZ-50

Hello to all in the pentaxfoums.

Hmm i was browsing the forums because i am not very familiar with these compatibility issues.

So I have an old MZ-50 with 2 lenses:
1 - SMC PENTAX - FA 1: 3.5 - 5.6 28-80mm
2 - SMC PENTAX - FA 1: 4.7 - 5.6 80-200mm

I would like to buy a new camera, and if possible re-use this lens to save some money.

I have found this links which explains the lenses but no info on compatibility.
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

I would like to buy a new camera, so i checked the websites and shops around me.. there is no much choice on Pentax without lens only:

- Pentax K200D nu + kit chargeur 299 (not new)
- Pentax K-x Noir Nu + Chargeur 439
- Pentax K-r Nu Noir 619,90
- Pentax K-7 Nu 549 (not new)

My use, general photos, and people dancing on the partys (low light)

I also have a Flash: Pentax AF220T can this be reused?
and a pentax FG adaptor for 4 AA bateries instead of the 2 CR2.

or do you advise to just buy a new one with the lens , and try to resell the old pentax?

thanks for the advice.

05-12-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a lens compatibility chart (link at the bottom of the page you linked above)

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Essentially, if a lens works with a Pentax film SLR, it'll work with any DSLR as well

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calireel Quote
Hello to all in the pentaxfoums.

Hmm i was browsing the forums because i am not very familiar with these compatibility issues.

So I have an old MZ-50 with 2 lenses:
1 - SMC PENTAX - FA 1: 3.5 - 5.6 28-80mm
2 - SMC PENTAX - FA 1: 4.7 - 5.6 80-200mm

I would like to buy a new camera, and if possible re-use this lens to save some money.

I have found this links which explains the lenses but no info on compatibility.
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

I would like to buy a new camera, so i checked the websites and shops around me.. there is no much choice on Pentax without lens only:

- Pentax K200D nu + kit chargeur 299 € (not new)
- Pentax K-x Noir Nu + Chargeur 439 €
- Pentax K-r Nu Noir 619,90 €
- Pentax K-7 Nu 549 € (not new)

My use, general photos, and people dancing on the partys (low light)

I also have a Flash: Pentax AF220T can this be reused?
and a pentax FG adaptor for 4 AA bateries instead of the 2 CR2.

or do you advise to just buy a new one with the lens , and try to resell the old pentax?

thanks for the advice.
Your lenses should work on any Pentax dSLR sold today, so I would keep them to save some money. You should know about the crop factor involved with lenses and new digital camera: Crop factor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - so, though they will work, the focal lengths will seem a bit different than what you are used to...

Any of the cameras you have listed will probably make you happy, but I would go with the kx, it looks to be the better value in your price list and new...

Good luck!

Last edited by theunartist; 05-12-2011 at 10:27 AM.
05-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by theunartist Quote
the focal lengths
The fields of view won't be as wide as on film.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Consider getting the "kit" lens with your camera. That's the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6, in a few different versions. The main reason to get it is that it's a very inexpensive way to get wide angle coverage. Your current lenses don't go below 28mm and most people would find that very limiting. If you are looking at a K-7, the kit lens is usually the WR version, which is the cheapest weather-resistant lens. That's good to have. The kit lens is usually not very much more than the body-only price. They aren't very expensive on the used market either, if you really can't afford them with the camera.

Your old flash will not damage the camera, and it will fire, but only at full power. That makes it less useful.
05-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Echoing Just1MoreDave's sentiments and adding that the K-x or K-r would fit your low-light needs nicely. Personally, I find the red dot AF viewfinder option indispensable for my cheap AF lenses, so I'd go with K-r if your budget allows it. YMMV.
05-13-2011, 05:41 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for the advices!
very helpfull and quick!

I also got an answer of the pentax team in 24h! great!

thanks again!