Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd second this solution:

Stored locally on a RAID storage system (multiple disc), encrypted Crashplan copy to my PC at work, and a paid subscription to Crashplan Central for off-site, online storage.

QuoteOriginally posted by thorwb Quote
I was considering online storage, but ended up with a cheaper solution;
-external hdd for my laptop as the everyday library
-backup to multimedia-pc/server in living room (gigabit ethernet)
-backup to my old pc at my parents house (slow internet - I only do this once in a while)

I use CrashPlan for automatic backup to both locations, because it sends stuff encrypted over the internet, and is free as long as I use my own storage. Having two locations was what I really wanted in case of a fire/burglary. This may sound paranoid, but photos are invaluable. Also, I had all the necessary equipment anyways so it was free

06-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #47
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
You know, after having many DVDs and CDs scratch and HDDs die I have come to the conclusion that there is no *safe* place for my images other than the SDHC card they are already on. I use 4GB and 8GB cards and they are about what I used to pay for film anyway, so I call it a wash.

What I do is this:
Copy the images to my laptop.
Copy the images to my external 3TB HDD.
Put the date on a small slip of paper inside the plastic box that comes with the cards then tape it shut.
Then I can work with the images on the laptop and if I mess up, I can then go back to the external HDD for the Almost Original. If all else fails, I have the chips safe inside my Burn Proof safe. (Well, for 18 hours of 1700F/975C fire)

I have had too many disasters with technology. Overkill? Yup. How long will these chips last? Dunno, but longer than HDDs I will bet.

George
06-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #48

Original Poster
deckroid, what kind of sd card do you buy and store them on? what do you pay for them? that may be the best solution, i'd need a ton of cards, wonder if they can be bought in bulk? wonder in actuality how long they last? don't have to worry about a hard drive crashing, too.
06-02-2011, 03:43 PM   #49
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
deckroid, what kind of sd card do you buy and store them on? what do you pay for them? that may be the best solution, i'd need a ton of cards, wonder if they can be bought in bulk? wonder in actuality how long they last? don't have to worry about a hard drive crashing, too.
I have a K100D, firmware upgraded, so I use a 4GB SDHC. As for brand name, I get what is on sale. My local BestBuy just had PNY 4GB (class 4) for 6 bucks, then I got another 10% off with a coupon... yeah, I am a coupon user for tech... so I bought 5 of them.

If you are using a newer camera, you may be using an 8 - 16 GB (class 6) card, but they are still reasonably priced... you can find 16GB cards for 15-ish bucks online. And I don't mean generic names, but Sandisk the like.

Just a quick search for bulk 16GB (class 6) cards found a unit price of 8.17 each, in a lot of 100, so the price would be 817.00 but... 100 cards... man, that is a bunch. I have 10 stashed away and 4 in my camera bag and one is always... ALWAYS... in my camera. I missed some good shots once; went for a walk with the camera, d'oh! no card! And then just out the kitchen window when I was putting the card from the camera into the laptop. Now, every time I take the card out, another goes right back in.

I was talking this over with a friend who is a pro photographer, she said she bought an SSD, solid state drive, for her laptop to put images on. Spendy but no moving parts. Fast too. Fail rate is in the 2 - 3% range, while a HDD is in the 10 - 15% range.

Sorry about the long reply...

06-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #50
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deckroid Quote

I was talking this over with a friend who is a pro photographer, she said she bought an SSD, solid state drive, for her laptop to put images on. Spendy but no moving parts. Fast too. Fail rate is in the 2 - 3% range, while a HDD is in the 10 - 15% range.
Price per Gig on an SSD is probably higher than if Memory Cards are used like you are - even if you use the SSD as an external drive and use full capacity for storage. I definitely wouldn't rely on an SSD installed in a Laptop with an operating system and no other backup.

The only thing I'd be cautious about with memory cards is the number of times there are posts here about them failing. Quality might have something to do with it but i think it is also partly due to using them in multiple devices and with multiple writes. If you write once, transfer then put them away and have the photos saved elsewhere as well then the odd failure should be ok. That chance of failure would be *very* low.

I think your method is a good one. It's like storing your old film in a fireproof safe and a lot cheaper. If one card fails then you still have the rest and possibly a backup of that card. if a single SSD fails then you might lose the lot.
06-03-2011, 06:27 AM   #51
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krp Quote
Right now I have most of my pictures on DVD's, but I know that's not very smart. I want to buy a 1 tb external hard drive and have all my photo's duplicated on that and DVD's. Does anyone know if there are tests somewhere that tell which brand is the most reliable? It seems like there are mixed reviews on every external hard drive I see.
That can vary from batch to batch and even between individual drives. Sometimes it seems one brand is best, sometimes another ... That's why you see so many mixed reviews and different opinions. I've bought makes of drives i would have never previously touched based on reputation and they have been ok and I've had failures from so-called reputable drives.

I like deckroid's approach of using an SD card once then storing it. Then have regular system backups (work with your most recent photos saved on the computer) and possibly a large external drive just for photos.
06-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Secure cloud storage account with a mainstream provider.
I considered it all before putting "everything" up there 4 years ago.
In my case, far more secure than all the risks of local backup
Convenient too, multi drop hub to any computer, no backups to worry about.
$200/year for 50GB.
Online backup is very effective if you have fast enough internet service, but it's not practical yet for many people with residential internet. Ours is 256kbits/sec up, or about 32kbytes/sec, and at that rate it would take months to do the initial upload if you have thousands of raw images to upload.

Paul
06-03-2011, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #53
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
Online backup is very effective if you have fast enough internet service, but it's not practical yet for many people with residential internet. Ours is 256kbits/sec up, or about 32kbytes/sec, and at that rate it would take months to do the initial upload if you have thousands of raw images to upload.

Paul
Here is what I do for massive uploads:

I take my laptop to my (somewhat) local coffee shop, which has free wifi, and it is smoking fast, about 20Mbs up. Yeah, I gotta drive 17 miles to get there, but when I need to do some uploading of media, that is where I go. Free refills too!

That place is crazy after 7pm when the gaming crowd show up. But during the day, its rather eclectic and jazzy.

12-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #54

Hello,
I am looking for information on moving all my photos from the iMac computer hard drive to an external drive. The external would be for photos only. I do not know how to do this - what software would I need to put on this drive for photos only? I want to be able to move photos to this drive as I make them...

I do have a HD backup for the computer. Am looking to keep or store photos on another drive.

I realize that as I remove them from the computer the back up drive in place will update and show no photos on the computer once I move them to the photos only external drive.

( iMac iPhoto )
12-14-2011, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i keep copies on several different drives. the working drive on my system (which i backup to a short term back up drive. I then clear that occasionally to a longer term drive which i run a mirror copy of. The Mirror copy is stored offsite so if I get hit with a catastrophe i'm covered to the last transfer (usually within 3 months)

I also print a lot of things in 4x6 just for long term. 50 years from now you may not be able to access the drives but the prints should exist

As for moving things around on a mac sorry i'm still a windows dinosaur
12-14-2011, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

This is worth keeping an eye on:

SanDiskŪ Memory Vault

SanDisk Memory Vault features Chronolock™ technology:
- Engineered to preserve the quality of photos and videos long term
- Tested to support data retention for up to 100 years*
- Physically designed for long-term reliability and durability

The product is a bit expensive atm, but price/GB will come down. Since the largest (so far) is just 16GB, maybe it's only good for your most important images.
12-14-2011, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

I double back up these days, DVD's and an external USB drive.
12-14-2011, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

DVD's Just add more backup hard drives, why torture yourself?
12-14-2011, 10:49 PM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
DVD's Just add more backup hard drives, why torture yourself?
I was up to 2 sets of about 60 DVDs as backups... went to 2 external HDs and it became much simpler and quicker - and cheaper.
12-15-2011, 05:58 AM - 1 Like   #60
Veteran Member

My thought has always been that photos of people (particularly family and close friends) are the photos that future generations will be most interested in looking at. I always wish there were more photos of my grandparents and parents when they were younger (and even myself). I think the same is true for most people (except pro photographers perhaps).

Thus, my strategy is to rank photos. First, if I went on vacation or something, I will go through and get rid of all the redundant or uninteresting photos (try to get it down to the best 30-90 photos rather than 1,000, concentrate on those that tell a story). This helps save space, as nobody wants to sift through 1,000 photos of a vacation. The very best portraits of family/friends are saved as raw images (these are the ones I may want to blow up and hang on a wall). Snapshots are saved as high quality JPEGS.

As far as artsy photos, I will save the best ones as raw files and discard the rest. The reason for this is that the artsy photos I will use are the best ones, and I will probably want to make large prints from them. Also, artsy photos are more replaceable than photos of friends and family.

Once you pair down the amount of data just back up in multiple places. The result will be a photo archive of meaningful work that will not take future family members ages to pick through. I have been really bad at this, but I also think it is important to label the photos so future generations know what is going on.

I really think the key is that not all photos have to be saved. In the digital era we suffer from data overload. A smaller well thought out collection will be appreciated much more than an massive archive of every photo you ever took (and is more likely to be saved for future generations).